Update 23-Jul-06: This topic is now out of date.
Update: see also this post by Scoble and the comments to that post relating to deployment.
Microsoft Longhorn is now due to ship in second-half 2006 without WinFS, Indigo and Avalon*. Beta 1 due June 2005.
While Indigo and Avalon may be released separately (?) for both XP and Longhorn (as "add-ins" for both OS's), the constantly changing feature list/timetable/roadmap most highlights those apologists for whom Microsoft can do no wrong.
This is the 4th alternative to the release strategy of either:-
- announcing products and delivering on time
- never pre-announcing new products
- releasing "only when the product is right/ready and no sooner" (i.e. we're incapable of delivering according to schedule)
- releasing on time minus most of the product (i.e. we're incapable of delivering in accordance with specification)
- announcing a product and never delivering it
* See Longhorn/Whidbey/Yukon Release Date Summary