Upgrading to Graffiti CMS 1.3 Open Source Version

Finally this weekend I had the time to start looking at Graffiti 1.3 that Telligent decided to open source it for the world to enjoy and contribute. Before that I was looking to move to WordPress.com not the php add from Wordpress.org that you can download. The commercial application its a very complete blog application, yet can get very expensive for me. After looking into all the options, I believe that I should stick with Telligent, as Community Server was my first hosted blog engine and Graffiti CMS without any doubt the most customizable one out there so far.

So I downloaded Graffiti CMS 1.3. You can find the open source blog here to download contribute and help. I compiled it, check the source code and upgraded my old Graffiti 1.2, no many changes at all since the previous version. You’ll find in the Site Option and new configuration tab.

image

Version 1.3 is backwards compatible with the database structure from 1.2, something good that you don’t need to upgrade the database schema.

There are a few things to keep in consideration when upgrading, is not as straight forward and things you need to make sure.

1. Back up the previous version as you going to need a few directories.
  2. After backing up, delete the whole structure from Graffiti version 1.2
  3. Make the changes on the web.config for you existing connection string and compile the whole solution.
  4. Publish ALL files to a directory and ftp them to the root directory.
  5. Copy the files directory to the deployment.
  6. Important, if you have IIS 7 you are set, however if not you need to go to the admin –>Site Options –> Configuration –> Generate Folders for Posts/Categories/Tags (Legacy) and check the box, save the changes.
    1. If you have check the box, you’ll need to copy the directories for your content plus the feed directory.
  7. Everything should be working fine.

In my opinion Graffiti CMS is one of the best blog engines out there, now that is open source the future is not very clear, if many people get involved in improving and adding new feature, Graffiti CMS has a great future, otherwise I don’t see it making it this year and becoming another dead project in Codeplex.com. I haven’t seen much activity since Telligent decided to open it. Now the future will tell. I’ll be still running Graffiti CMS for a few reasons, the main one, is I can change anything that does not work, or add functionality I would like.

If you want to get involved this is how, download the source code and start looking at what could be improved. My modest suggestions or things that should be done to Graffiti CMS

• Add a option to detect mobile phones and the iPhone to show the blog better, a theme option for mobile devices like WordPress.com
  • Better reporting
  • More Themes
  • Twitter sync for retweet button
  • Improve the performance.
  • Silverlight widgets.

One more thing. You may get an erorr using Live Writer if you do not delete the previous version of the bin directory before uploading 1.3

Method not found: 'System.String Graffiti.Core.SiteSettings.get_ProxyHost()'.

Also if you get a 404 when trying to access one of the post, is because you forgot task 6 above. Make sure that if you are running IIS 6 to have that option enable.

Hope this helps, looking for any other suggestions.

Cheers

Al

Published Monday, January 11, 2010 5:40 AM by albertpascual

Comments

# re: Upgrading to Graffiti CMS 1.3 Open Source Version

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:50 PM by Kevin Harder

Thanks for the great write up on upgrading Al.

It seems like the url routing changes that you mentioned in step 6 have been tripping up quite a few people. I'll add notes about that to the CodePlex site and the readme.txt. Perhaps we could also automatically enable directory writing in code if IIS 7 and .NET 3.5 SP1 are not detected as well.

Appreciate any feedback and code improvements you want to submit! :)

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:04 PM by albertpascual

Kevin,

Thanks so much for linking the blog. Yes I was quite confused when I upgraded. One check box goes a long way.

Cheers

Al

Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:41 AM by Henrique

Al, thanks for a useful post.

However as a non-developer I miss a step-by-step guide for compiling the source code. Could you describe which version of Visual Studio 2008 is necessary and how to complete the compilation process?

I have tried with Visual Studio 2008 Express, but it doesn't seem to work. Not sure if I have the correct edition as most links from Microsoft points to Visual Studio 2010.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:58 AM by cms web development

Great post,thanks for sharing this information.....

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:58 PM by translation services

I already tried to get support directly Telligent that my problem with the former commercial version of Graffiti CMS 1.2, but only Telligent responded that provides support Graffiti more and thats why I was sent here.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:44 AM by cms webstie development

Worderfull article.  this graffiti cms open source is very easy to use...

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:04 AM by hire a website developer

Nice post,not like some boring once,i without doubt loved every little bit of it.. Thanks for posting. what you said is really helpful to me.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:10 AM by mnk,njm

m,mn,nm,nm, ,jmn,njm

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:01 PM by rufus

Excellent post and it looks informative. Thanks for your sharing.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:01 AM by emankady

nice topic i like it

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:05 AM by Turkish Transalation

nice topic i like it

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:02 PM by Thor

Nice post!

A few days ago I updated my blog to the latest version of The Gariffiti CMS. It was easy.

Then I tried to add a new functionality, retwitt new post when it was published.

And I see that the code a little "longer" as for me, but very structured.

I like this engine and I will continue to work with it.

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20 AM by richardboss78

Your article has proven useful to me. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.