WSE 3.0 WishList
Aaron Skonard has done his WSE 3.0 Wishlist here, and i also have my own:
- More WS-* specs implemented: (in order of importance) WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-MetadataExchange, WS-Eventing. WS-Transactions will be also interesting, but i think in a more distant time frame.
- A Better (simpler) way to implement other WS-* specs: as for today, impementing a new spec is hard and requires very low level work. It would be nice to create some helpers (hooks, base classes, etc) in the WSE infraestructure to make this work less complicated and error prone.
- Support for MTOM: to allow interop with other vendors.
- A standard way to interchange policy between services: now the documentation states that this must be done "out of band", but a standard way to do that is a major plus to start really using WS-Policy.
- A better (simpler) programming model: yeah, i know that this is already done in Indigo, so it's not really a must-have, only a nice-to-have feature.
- Hosting HTTP without IIS: this is really important i think, and maybe not so hard to implement using the same infraestructure Indigo uses (the new HTTP.SYS found in W2k3 and XP sp2).
- Perfomance: i can't have enough of this, specially when signing or encrypting messages using X509 certificates when WSE 1.x/2.x perfomance sucks right now.
- Run in NET 2.0: depending on the Indigo time-frame it can be a need to run the WSE bits on .NET 2.0. If this is true, please make sure that WSE 3.0 and Indigo can interoperate.
- Easy the Deploy of WSE: please make a Merge Module to allow the distribution, or better yet, run WSE side by side only referencing a couple of assemblies (xcopy deployment).
Well, thats all for now. Let's hope that all (or almost all) of this features appears in the next WSE incarnation.