.NETTER Characters...

Every part of your life is best, if you can know yourself and thus create your life like an artist!

Syndication

Sponsors

News

Ashraful Alam Joy

Create Your Badge

Learn ASP.NET 4+ and Entity Framework 4+ with Employee Info Starter Kit

EISK All-in-One
    Join the Community!
    Live Demo

Mohammad Ashraful Alam is a Software Engineer, who is dedicated to Microsoft .NET based development. This Bangladeshi national is involved with project management and development of several US based software projects from his country. Already he has managed and developed several software projects, which are being used by several users of different countries, such as USA, Canada, Australia, and Bangladesh. While developing and managing a team, he contains and maintains a set of well defined engineering practices developed by him and other online developer community. Beside software development, he has also written several technical articles and research papers published by IEEE Computer Society and many other worlds recognized publishers. When not engaged with technical stuffs, he likes to pass time with his friends, and family members, listens music or watches TV.

Total Hits in this Blog:

Microsoft MVP 2007-2008-2009

Community Credit Winner July 2008

Me and My Works

10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008

I have started using Visual Studio Team System (VSTS) 2008, recently. Previously I worked with Visual Studio 2005. As a matter of fact I had to use lots of external tools to perform and speedup my development process. However, while working with VSTS 2008, it's very exciting for me that, I found replacements for most of the external tools there.

Here are 10 tools which I left after using VSTS 2008:

VSTS 2008 tool: Menu -> Analyze -> Run Code Analysis

9. Code Matrics

External tool: nDepend

VSTS 2008 tool: Menu -> Analyze -> Calculate Code Matrics

10. Java Script Debugging

External tool: Code Project Java Script Debugging Tool

VSTS 2008 tool: see Scott Gu's post on it.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Published Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:44 PM by joycsharp

Comments

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:21 AM

Great post!  This is all useful info.

by Guy

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:37 PM

Wow.  I didn't know there was Schema Compare and Data Compare built into VSTS!

by LaptopHeaven

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:48 AM

well i may not have VSTS but i sure think Datagen could save me a lot of work! thanks for the link.

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:26 AM

You could also use Visual Studio Team SUITE (not well advertised) if you don't need need the whole team system.

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:12 AM

superjason, can you give more details on you comment, maybe some links.

Thanks,

Schneider

by schneider

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:52 AM

Good post.Thanks

by galib

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:40 PM

The Data menu only appears in certain contexts and I do not see the Data or Schema Compare options when it is visible. I have VSTS Dev Edition. Does that not come with that feature?

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:15 PM

You really dropped TestDriven.Net? I agree that being able to run your tests in debug mode are one of the clear pluses of the test features in VS2008 (it's included in VS2008 Pro, BTW), but that wasn't enough so far to convince me to leave NUnit behind. Do you have a way to run NUnit tests within VS2008?

by Mathias

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:59 AM

Wow.

Great Post

by kamii47

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:45 AM

@ Mathias

Thats fine for me regarding my current need. If I need more, I will try best to be at VSTS 2008, rather going to an external tool (and will have a post on it as well ;)

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:46 AM

@Brennan Stehling

You have to install Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition for the corresponding features.

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:37 AM

@ All

Thanks all for your inputs.

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Friday, June 27, 2008 3:18 PM

Although there are database tools in VS2008 from the Database Developer Edition, I am not so happy with them. I do not like how user permissions are stored and have to be maintained. Other ways we have developed our stored procs and views to have a statement at the top that if it does not exist create a dummy shell, then the guts is always an ALTER is does not like. Perhaps I should spend more time, but that is my opinion of the database edition portion. I am impressed with the other tools, but you also must remind people that this is for the FULL team suite edition.

by Andy

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Friday, June 27, 2008 4:21 PM

Awesome Post. I may use this content in front of customers and I'll build out a slide deck...Thanks!

by Ian Ceicys

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Monday, June 30, 2008 1:22 AM

I am also using VSTS 2008. Very very helpful post for me. Thank you.

by Setu

# re: 10 Tools Which I Left After Using VSTS 2008@ Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:50 AM

hi mohammad,

I want to know how does Recorded or coded webtest behaves when the same are included in LoadTest in VSTS 2008, Please give your inputs.

prasad.patel@emids.com