Tales from the Evil Empire

Bertrand Le Roy

BoudinFatal's Gamercard

Tales from the Evil Empire - Blogged

Blogs I read

My other stuff

Archives

Orchard team looking for a new developer

(c) 2005 Bertrand Le Roy My team is looking for a new full-time developer. The project is to build a completely new open-source CMS based on ASP.NET MVC 2. It’s a lot of fun :)

Comments

alberto said:

Would you consider non-US applications?

# November 23, 2009 4:17 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Alberto: we'll consider all applications, although it is always more difficult for non-US because of visas.

# November 23, 2009 4:21 PM

koistya said:

Resume sent.

# November 23, 2009 4:23 PM

Jesse Squire said:

Are you considering remote candidates at this point, or must the developer be on-site in Redmond?

# November 23, 2009 4:46 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Jesse: we usually prefer to move people to Redmond, but you can always apply and negotiate.

# November 23, 2009 7:48 PM

Greg Brewer said:

Funny, I was just looking at ASP.MVC CMS applications on codeplex last night.

# November 23, 2009 9:46 PM

deepu.mi said:

Would you consider H1 Visa status

# November 23, 2009 11:37 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@deepu.mi: I think I answered that already.

# November 23, 2009 11:55 PM

lucasbfr said:

This looks like an incredible job :)

Damn!

# November 24, 2009 8:28 AM

Eric Newton said:

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring... I've worked with CMS's several times over the past year and I've had to deal with their shortcomings.

I've sent my resume in, and we'll see, eh?  :)

# November 24, 2009 8:39 AM

Danny said:

Mr. Le Roy,

FYI.

N2 CMS - These guys have an MVC template that's not quite ready for prime time. The ASP.NET version has some pretty cool stuff.

KooBoo - Their entire app is built on the MVC framework. Again some cool stuff.

Will there be a call for volunteers at some point ?

Are we looking at something similiar to Drupal ?

Thanks

# November 24, 2009 7:28 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Danny: thanks for the pointers. Yes, there will be a call for volunteers shortly.

# November 24, 2009 7:33 PM

alexandershapovalov said:

I have experience in development CMS based on MVC and MVP patterns (not asp.net MVC, but normal ASP.NET) and will be happy to work in this team.

I will apply today evening on career site. The only problem I am in Russia :)) but willing to relocate ;)

# November 25, 2009 4:32 AM

bidware said:

I've applied to jobs in the USA, but for some reason americans are not aware of the free trade agreement, which allows Canadians and Mexicans to work in each other's country with relative ease.  So for a Canadian to work in USA, there is almost no difference between an american and Canadian candidate.  it's NOT the same as an H1B visa which is for all countries OTHER than Canada and Mexico, so you should definitely not group Canadians into the same as other countries, as there would be absolutely no issue with getting a Visa to work in USA.

# November 26, 2009 2:56 PM

Lee Timmins said:

Hi do you plan on using The Entity Framework?  I'm currently using ASP.NET WebForms as i started from a reliable starter kit which implemented common best practices.  We really need a best practices starter kit for ASP.NET MVC 2.0.

# November 26, 2009 6:34 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Lee: no, we do not plan on using EF. If you're looking for a best practices starter kit, Orchard is entirely the wrong place to look: it's neither a starter kit nor intended to show best practices.

# November 27, 2009 8:56 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@bidware: thanks for the tip, I'm sure our HR department is fully aware of immigration law, which is why I'm encouraging anyone to apply no matter where they currently live.

# November 28, 2009 12:31 AM

Steve Gentile said:

Resume sent.

I've been working an asp.net mvc project since it came out (previously was using Monorail) and using it today on a asp.net mvc 1.0 project.  Absolutely love the technology.

I look forward to working my next project using asp.net mvc 2.0.

I love open source, working with NHibernate, JQuery, Spring.NET, etc...and enjoy branching out to learning over cool stuff (like Groovy and Grails)

I would be interested in working at Microsoft on a good team.

Sounds great - resume filled out and sent  :)

# November 29, 2009 12:11 AM

Markus Daehn said:

Is there possibility for part-time?

Thanks.

# December 23, 2009 6:36 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Markus: I don't think so.

# December 24, 2009 1:39 PM

Shoriful ISlma said:

Still this position opened?

# January 6, 2010 8:32 AM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Shoriful: yes, but probably not for long.

# January 6, 2010 2:09 PM

Cory said:

In one of your replies, you mentioned that Orchard is "neither a starter kit nor intended to show best practices." I'm wondering why Microsoft wouldn't want to take advantage of the opportunity to provide the community with best practices when developing MVC applications.

# January 9, 2010 10:22 PM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Cory: because best practices imply universality: it assumes that what we do would apply to any application. We already have many important goals to focus on without piling that one on. We are doing our best to apply best practices but we're going to avoid the kind of arrogance that would be to pretend this is how you build any MVC application. It couldn't be anyways because a CMS is a very peculiar type of app. In many places we have to architect things in a way that would be absolutely mad over-engineering in almost any other application.

# January 10, 2010 12:45 AM

Nick Mayne said:

Are you still looking? Or have you guys already hired?

# January 29, 2010 9:21 AM

Nick Mayne said:

Oh and if you are... when are you looking for them to start? as that could stop me applying :(

# January 29, 2010 9:37 AM

Bertrand Le Roy said:

@Nick: sorry, the position has been filled. Thanks for your interest and don't let that stop you from considering contributing ;)

# January 29, 2010 1:21 PM

Nick Mayne said:

Oh it was my fault... i took too long concidering if it would fit in after i came back from travelling. nevermind... that will teach me.

I will still contribute, but iff your hiring again - keep me in mind. :)

# January 31, 2010 11:45 AM