Installation Tips for Silverlight Tools Beta 1 for Visual Studio 2008

Published Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:52 AM

As many of you know Silverlight 2 Beta 1 was release today at MIX08.  What an awesome day.  The new applications under development based on Silverlight 2 are truly incredible!  Check out http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

To get started with Silverlight 2 you can download "Silverlight Tools Beta 1 for Visual Studio 2008" here.

The Silverlight Tools installer will install everything needed to start working with Silverlight 2 in Visual Studio 2008.

It installs the following:

• Silverlight 2 Beta 1
  • Silverlight 2 SDK Beta 1
  • KB949325 for Visual Studio 2008
  • Silverlight Tools Beta 1 for Visual Studio 2008

Even if you've previously installed Silverlight 1.0 or Silverlight 2 Beta 1 the installer will proceed and install the additional components.

That's it!  You're now ready to start creating rich Internet applications with Silverlight 2 and Visual Studio 2008.

While the installation is that simple in most cases, there have been some installation issues reported.  I've listed below the issues and solutions I've run into so far.  I'll update this post if new issues are reported.

Installation Error

If you do run into an installation error, it's most like due to a previous installation of Silverlight 1.1 Alpha or any of the Silverlight SDKs, including the Silverlight 2 Beta 1 SDK.  You must uninstall all these components before installing Silverlight Tools Beta1 for VS08.  If you don't uninstall these products first you'll get this error dialog from the installer.

InstallError

If you see this dialog, be sure to uninstall all the dependent components and restart the installer.

Can't Find KB949325 to Uninstall?

If you ever need to uninstall KB949325, you can do this through Add and Remove Programs.  However it does not show up by default in Add and Remove Programs.

Instead you need to select "View Installed Updates"

ARP1.

Now you'll see all the updates and patches installed to applications on your computers.  Scroll down and you'll find KB949325.  It will be listed as:

ARP2

It should not come as a surprise that if you uninstall KB949325, you will not be able to use Silverlight projects in Visual Studio.  Only uninstall KB949325 if you're planning on returning VS08 to its RTM condition or if you're attempting to reinstall Silverlight Tools.

Prompt for installation source media

In some cases you may get a prompted for the installation CD-ROM for Visual Studio 2008.

MediaPrompt

Heath Stewart has an excellent blog post on some of the issues users are encountering when installing patches for Visual Studio 2008. You can read his entire post here.  Heath has a new post specific to this prompt when installing Silverlight Tools here.

One of the scenarios causing this to happen with the Silverlight Tools installer is when Visual C++ is not installed.   The other component that will cause this to happen is if you don't have the "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component".

You can manually get around this.  First you'll need to extract the individual installers from the Silverlight Tools Beta 1 for VS08 chained installer.  To do this download and save the Silverlight Tools chained installer from here and save it locally.

To extract the individual installers run this command:  silverlight_chainer.exe /extract

This will extract the following installers, along with other support files.

1. Silverlight.2.0.exe
    2. VS90-KB949325.msp
    3. silverlight_sdk.msi
    4. VS_SilverlightTools_Beta1_Setup.exe

It critical that you install these components in the order listed above.  (Silverlight 2, KB949325, SDK, Tools)  To install KB949325 w/o being prompted for media run this command:

msiexec /p VS90-KB949325.msp /L*vx VS90-KB949325.log REINSTALL=ALL

Note: this command will require administrative rights and it does not add the KB to Add/Remove Programs.

To list these Silverlight tools in Visual Studio's Help->About dialog and to be able to uninstall these tools from Add/Remove Programs (ARP), install the patch again using the following command:

msiexec /p VS90-KB949325.msp /L*vx VS90-KB949325-2.log ADDLOCAL=KB947520,KB949325

Finally run the VS_SilverlightTools_Beta1_Setup.exe installer to complete the Silverlight Tools installation.

The project type is not supported by this installation

Even when installed successfully, some users have seen this error:

CantOpen

This is happening for users who have installed previous builds of Silverlight Tools and for one reason or another the Silverlight package for Visual Studio has been disabled.  You can re-enable the Silverlight package by running the following command.

devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

The ASP.NET Silverlight controls show appear in the Toolbox for .aspx pages

This happens if the Silverlight SDK is installed before KB949325.  As listed above the install order is important.  To fix this uninstall the Silverlight SDK and re-install it.

Help Files don't show up in Visual Studio

To integrate the VS help files included in the Silverlight 2 SDK follow the instructions in this readme.txt installed with the SDK.

[Program Files]\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v2.0\Documentation\VS-Help\Readme.txt

The installer is hung?

At the end of the installation process the installer appears to be hung.

almost_done

The installer can take up to 10 minutes at the end of the installation process.  What's going on?  The last thing the installer does is merge the help dictionaries.  If you've installed the help files for VS locally this can take some time.  Don't kill the process, it's not hung.

Where to go for Installation Help?

Be sure to check out the Silverlight 2 Beta 1 readme for known issues.

If you run into installation issues not covered here please post your question in the "Installation and Setup" forum here: http://silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx

Comments

# vikram said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:22 AM

Thanks for this Long Post helping in the installation. But I think the installation could have been made easier. Why does a develope need to do so many stuff to install a SDK of silverlight

# Achurchill said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:47 AM

The C++ requirement was a bear. I had to uninstall VS2008 Pro because i did not have an ISO image and, suprise, the Ventian bandwidth was terrible  so no chance getting it from MSDN. I then installed VS2008 from the disk at the conference and installed SL 2.0 on top of that. I love SL but this should have been avoided. Now I need to get back home and fix the laptop. Minor glitch guys, minor glitch but I was bitching yesterday afternoon...

# George Sheehy said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:40 AM

I continue to get the installation error about can't install previouly installed... I;ve checked and re-checked for the items listed and I don't have any of the installed (at least by the name given). I checked for KB949325 and it is not installed.

What else could it be?

# BradleyB said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:56 AM

Hey George, You'll get this error if you have any previous build of Silverlight 2 other than build 30226.02.

I'd recommend un-installing all Silverlight entries from Add and Remove Programs.

Another thing to look for is KB947520.  This KB was from one of the internal builds of Beta 1.  It was never released publically, but some of our partners are running into KB947520 being already installed.

Hope this helps,

Brad

# Ameen Mirza said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:56 AM

Nice job I was looking for this damn thing from two days......

# Michael Schwarz said on Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:56 PM

Hi,

I think that we have to start the "msiexec /p VS90-KB949325.msp /l*vx VS90-KB949325.log REINSTALL=ALL" with administrative rights using Windows Vista UAC. I got a message that "c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\common7\tools\vsvars32.bat" could not be opened for write.

Michael

# Gregory A. Beamer said on Friday, March 7, 2008 9:52 AM

One of the most interesting things is if you attempt to install the Silverlight SDK prior to installing the tools, it fails. I figured I had to have Silverlight, then the SDK, then the tools, but ended up uninstalling the SDK to get the tools installed. After that, no problems. For that reason, I would recommend using the "all in one" tools loader.

# Khurram said on Monday, March 10, 2008 9:04 AM

First installation failed, extracted the files and ran it again, it worked fine from both commands but can't see the new project type in VS2008

any other work arounds?

K

# Khurram said on Monday, March 10, 2008 9:13 AM

It's not in ARP either, looked athe log file and both says

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU - Update 'KB949325' installed successfully.

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU -- Configuration completed successfully.

K

# ٍٍSaeed Ashour said on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:34 PM

Hi ...

How i can be sure if my VS 2008 is RTM version or not? because i try to install silverlight 2.0 beta 1.0 tools for VS and it says it need to VS 2008 RTM version .

# Mikkel said on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:53 PM

This article has been a livesaver for me!

Super! Explaines the things great!

More of this would make the internet better!

# pluginbaby said on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:43 PM

Hi,

Nice post.

I used the "Prompt for installation source media"  procedure, but I had to change security settings on this file (???)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat

# chris said on Friday, March 14, 2008 1:46 AM

excellent stuff...you really helped me out with this

# Santiago said on Friday, March 21, 2008 2:56 PM

excellent... you really helped me.

Thanks

# Simon said on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:09 PM

Thankyou for an excellent post! :o)

# Erin said on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 9:28 PM

okayy whenever I try to install it it says that it cant be downloaded to this computer....why is this??

# Ian said on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:57 AM

Thank you for a great post.

I got this error "The project type is not supported by this installation" and followed the steps provided by running devenv.exe /resetskippkgs but no luck. Any other ideas?

# Enoch Alvarado said on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:17 AM

Finally a short but complete guide to installation errors. I had to figure it out by myself. It took me two and a half hour to uninstall and reinstall everything but it didn't work... so I used ccleaner and regcleaner to erase unerasable objects... Anyways, I felt like I could do that by trial and error and maybe won't be able to repeat the process. This article is now the first page in my silverlight pages,

thx

# Jan said on Friday, April 25, 2008 10:18 PM

Great article, it's works correctly!

# wael said on Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:21 AM

thanx alot man

devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

this command works fine for me

:-)

# Lang said on Monday, June 2, 2008 9:47 PM

thanks. it helps a lot.

# Sam Gentile said on Saturday, June 7, 2008 9:45 PM

I get this after install and trying to open any of the xaml files in the designer:

Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131401)

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at MS.Internal.Package.VSIsolationProviderService.CreateIsolationProvider(String identity, AssemblyReferenceProvider assemblyReferences, IEnumerable`1 assemblyFolders)

at MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext.GetIsolationProvider(IServiceProvider provider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, AssemblyReferenceProvider assemblyReferences, Boolean isSilverlightProject)

at MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext.GetIsolationProvider(IServiceProvider provider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, AssemblyReferenceProvider assemblyReferences)

at MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext.Initialize(IServiceProvider provider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, UInt32 itemid, Object docDataObj)

at MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext..ctor(IServiceProvider provider, IVsWindowFrame frame, Object docDataObj)

at MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext.GetContext(IServiceProvider services, IVsWindowFrame frame, Boolean createIfNotExist)

at MS.Internal.Designer.DesignerPane.InitializeDesigner()

# JaeYoung Lee said on Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:40 AM

I wanted to learn SL technology and then tried to install SL sdk but I met a problem of installation. It that problem was preinstalled programs of previous version of SL as this post. So, I solved my problem by this post. Thanks very much!

# Valdemir said on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:43 PM

Quero instalar o silverlight

# valdemir do santos said on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:55 PM

Thanks for sharing your feedback! If your feedback doesn't appear right away, please be patient as it may take a few minutes to publish - or longer if the blogger is moderating comments.

# Aloe Vera Distributor - myflp.org said on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:02 PM

Hello there.

I have something to say, about Aloe vera, something about which you wrote above, about health and nutritional... For a long time, I and my fine friend use the products of the Forever Living Company. We every time see the nice results and also we earn money for our families and we are happy. My friend works with aloe vera in the company of Forever Living Products has more than 5 years (My friend works ONLY in the FLP and has a wife and three children). I know Aloe Vera products for personal care for a long time, but a year ago, began working as a distributor in the FLP.

Of course, this job is some difficult, but in no other case, You really can earn so much much money with so much much fun and   smiling faces around..

So if you want to discuss something about which you wrote above, and about my experience with Aloe products for nutritional, I'll always be glad to talk.

Best regards from Washington state and have a nice day!

Andrew - Aloe Vera Distributor

# Acinnina said on Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:02 PM

я думаю: восхитительно!  а82ч

# ipad case said on Monday, January 3, 2011 2:18 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Advantageously, the post is in fact the greatest on this valuable subject. I match in together with your conclusions and will thirstily appear ahead to your incoming updates."

# best ipad application said on Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:14 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------

I recently came throughout your internet site and take place to be understanding along. I assumed I'd personally leave my initial comment. I actually do not know what  to say except that We've loved examining. Respectable internet web site. I'm going to maintain visiting this weblog truly frequently.

# generic viag`З said on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:54 PM

excellent work!!!, thanks

# sdfsdgfd said on Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:06 PM

You certainly have some agreeable opinions and views. Your blog provides a fresh look at the subject.

# awning said on Monday, April 18, 2011 12:37 AM

zxrmzu retractable awnings gkofz

# TLSubmit said on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:57 PM

Hey im new here.

Im sam, how is everyone?

I look forwards to being a active memeber

# zithromax said on Sunday, May 29, 2011 5:35 PM

die Glänzende Idee und ist termingemäß

# Strattera Nebennieren said on Monday, June 6, 2011 4:30 AM

Experience is the best teacher. Experience is the name every one gives to his mistakes. (W. Scott)

# Dorathy Crawshaw said on Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:53 PM

hank for this very good web log! I completely appreciate it!

# Debroah Mier said on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:19 AM

It regularly amazes me precisely how site owners for instance your self can discover enough time plus the commitment to carry on creating wonderful blog posts. Your site isgreat and one of my have to read websites. I just had to thank you.

# thomas jewellery said on Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:51 AM

It doesn't even necessarily have to be something of value! The very act of giving somebody a gift will trigger that hard-wired response in our brains that says that we NEED to return the favor.

# thomas sabo shop said on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:05 AM

Thanks for the tips, maybe I can use this svelte my noesis marketing and Ive been use whatsoever ethnical media in try a interaction and they eff handiwork a big friendliness on me.I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information

# thomas sabo charms discount said on Monday, August 22, 2011 1:17 AM

Thanks for a great review

# Dance Teaching Degree said on Monday, September 5, 2011 10:35 PM

Silverlight tools are good, but not all of them are working. Some of its features are not working on my end.

# Tutoring Services said on Friday, September 16, 2011 1:18 AM

# Tutoring Services said on Friday, September 16, 2011 1:24 AM

# renlewei said on Monday, September 19, 2011 3:45 AM

At the same time, not only descendants of the family, every designer working for the Louis Vuitton

# Anderson Ment said on Monday, September 26, 2011 5:52 AM

Well I am a newbie at this and your article will help me for sure to use the Silverlight tools!

# Moncler Outlet said on Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:22 AM

Hello,I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.

# cheap moncler said on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:12 AM

Kind bomber coat; patterned once out-of-doors jackets utilized through write-up-war Canadian bush pilots|||Elasticized, rib-knit cuffs in addition for you to waistband; quite a few wallets along with regard to be able to backup within addition to be able to handwarming