Fixing Setup Errors Installing Silverlight Tools Beta 2

Published Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:17 PM

What's the problem?

There are two predominate issues that are preventing a successful installation of Silverlight Tools Beta 2.

1. Silverlight_chainer.exe fails attempting to uninstall KB949325
  2. Mismatched binaries when both Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta  and Silverlight Tools Beta 2 are installed.

These two problems account for the vast majority of installation problems developers are running into.

What's the solution?

To help address these two specific problems I've created a .vbs script that attempts to detects and repairs both of these issues.

Download "Silverlight_Tools_Fixup.zip" attached to this post.

Unzip "Silverlight_Tools_Fixup.vbs" from Silverlight_Tools_Fixup.zip

Run the following:

1. Silverlight_Tools_Fixup.vbs
  2. Silverlight_chainer.exe

So what happened?

When run Silverlight_Tools_Fixup.vbs will:

1. Detect and uninstall KB949325
  2. Detect all advertised features in VS and repair them. (Advertised features result in mismatched binaries.)

*Vista non-admin scenarios will require running the script from command prompt that was started using "Run as administrator".
    *You may also be prompted for original media when uninstalling KB949325.

Getting Help?

Be sure to check out the Silverlight 2 Beta 2 readme for known issues.

You can also get additional help from the "Installation and Setup" forum here: http://silverlight.net/forums/13.aspx

Comments

# Stefan Olson said on Friday, July 11, 2008 3:46 PM

Still fails for me with an Msi API Error...

# John said on Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:45 PM

I get an error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"  I am not able to use Silverlight to view my movies like I used to.  I have tried system restore also but without success.

# Michael Fischer said on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:55 AM

I am not able to install Silverlight. The error message only says, "unable to Install".

# Michael Fischer said on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:02 PM

I need CLEARinstructions to install Silverlight and CLEAR error messages.

# Edu Backlinks said on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:29 PM

I take pleasure in, lead to I discovered what exactly I ended up being taking a look for. You have ended my 4 evening prolonged look!

# cheap jordans said on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:05 PM

i have read your post.and i try to fix same problem :Setup Errors Installing Silverlight Tools Beta 2,but still errors, what is wrong ?

# cheap jordans said on Monday, October 24, 2011 4:54 AM

Silverlight installed perfectly upon the first try. Seems to work fine.

# OEM software download said on Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:47 AM

srVwUq Develop the topic further! It is interesting to know more details..!