BradVin's .Net Blog

Code, snippets, controls, utils, etc. Basically all things .net

LINQ Cheat Sheet

A while ago when I was learning LINQ I searched the web for a 'cheat sheet'. I needed a single document that covered most of the common scenarios w.r.t LINQ so that I would not need to google every time I was writing LINQ queries. I found one very good one : http://aspnetresources.com/blog/linq_sqo__cheat_sheet.aspx . But I wanted more (as usual) so I created my own. I was also new to lambda expressions and I wanted to learn the differences between syntax in a LINQ query written in 'query syntax' and 'lambda syntax' so I also included that as part of my cheat sheet. Every query is given in both syntaxes. Here is a screenshot:

Download the LINQ CHEAT SHEET

Please let me know what you think. Did it help you? Where could it be improved? What would you add?

You can also download the code that I used when creating the document. It also includes basic testing to make sure the queries of both syntaxes returned the same results. Beware as it may contain some bugs ;)

UPDATE (3 Nov 2008) :  I updated the cheat sheet document. Changes made:

• made the left and right margins smaller
  • adjusted column widths to be equal
  • added new example under 'Ordering' section (thanks to RichardD - see comments)
  • added new example under 'Element Operators' section and updated notes (thanks to RichardD - see comments)

Published Saturday, November 1, 2008 2:43 PM by bradvin
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:47 AM

Thanks for posting this :)

I'm just getting started with LINQ...

by Rob

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:26 PM

Nice.

6 months later i still find myself going to google for certain things.

This should help!

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:49 AM

Great work.

I was also looking for this resource, and found your cheat sheet very useful.

Please make a VB version of the cheat sheet.

Thanks again.

by Moiz

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Monday, November 3, 2008 6:23 AM

+1 on VB version please

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Monday, November 3, 2008 2:36 PM

Very nice. Just a couple of comments:

"Ordering" - you have an example for multiple orderby clauses, but not for a single orderby clause with multiple expressions:

from o in orders

orderby o.CustomerID, o.Cost descending

select o

<=>

orders

.OrderBy(o => o.CustomerID)

.ThenByDescending(o => o.Cost)

"SingleOrDefault, ... all return NULL if source sequence is empty"

Actually, they return default(T) if source is empty. This will be NULL if T is a reference type or nullable value type; non-nullable value types default to 0 / false, etc.

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Monday, November 3, 2008 4:01 PM

thanks RichardD, you are most definately correct. I have updated the doc and added 2 new examples.

by bradvin

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:44 AM

awesome awesome awesome

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Friday, May 1, 2009 3:56 PM

I'm glad there are great people out there like you who do this stuff for me.  Thanks!

by Brent

# re: LINQ Cheat Sheet@ Monday, September 7, 2009 2:22 PM

The cheat sheet is missing SelectMany().

There are 2 types of joins: inner and outer. in linq one is achieved through Join() another through SelectMany().

by Boris