April 2004 - Posts
I turned my resignation letter in to my current employer this morning. I think they were a little shocked, and I haven't quite seen how my big boss is going to react yet as he is somewhere up near Redmond this week. I haven't been happy here lately, and they know this, but they also thought things were improving. I had to play along for the past few weeks, the last thing I wanted was to end up unemployed. So I made things better, I didn't put up a fight with the usual insane things, I just played the game.
Last Thursday I got an email from the President of a small software development company here in town. He found my name on forums.asp.net and saw that I was from St. Louis. I guess after looking around at a few of my sites and probably here on my blog :) he shot me an email about a C# position they were looking to fill.
I interviewed there on Monday, and worked out the final offer on Thursday. I'm excited, this new opportunity should be great, and they've even mentioned time to allow me to continue working on open source projects, so hopefully I'll be able to get back in on the ASP.NET Forums 2.0 conversion for DNN!!
I'm sure I'll have more to blog about this soon!
The upgrade to 2.0 today went great! I've now started to get DnnCart out of the DNN core that it was built into for SoloPerformance.com, and into it's own soon to be Private Assembly. With the latest work I think I may be able to have a release of code in the next week or two for people to start looking over.
A functional version will probably be a month or so off, but we'll see how much time I actually get to work on DnnCart in the coming weeks.
Are you looking for an ASP.NET developer in St. Louis? Shoot me a note, take a look at some of my work/projects linked in this blog
. I can furnish a resume via email if requested.
Well, I've spent the past few weeks playing around with DNN 2.0. Today I'm doing the same.
I decided to take a copy of the portal I have running DnnCart on SoloPerformance.com and try to upgrade it to DNN 2.0, mainly to see how well the store converts over to 2.0. I am hoping to get working on the release for DnnCart here in the next few weeks, this test today will tell me how much work I actually have to do before the release.
If the code I've written converts over to 2.0 alright then I just have cleanup and feature code to work on. If it doesn't convert to 2.0 without too many troubles than I've got a LOT more work left to do to get the code up to 2.0 spec. More to come later!
Well, I finished last night's project. I put the new larger hard drive in the Tivo and it worked like a charm! So I've doubled the size of my Tivo, in about 2-3 hours worth of work, mostly reading instructions ahead of time. The upgrade I did just copied the master Tivo drive to my new drive, and then all I had to do was expand the new drive to it's full capacity. As far as I know all my previous recordings are intact, I even watched one of the movies it had recorded a few days ago after the upgrade.
Later this week I'll take it apart again and try to activate the USB and any other features that I can enable!
Well, I broke into my virgin Tivo tonight and ripped her insides out!
I'm working on putting a larger HD in the machine, an 80gig instead of the 40gig that it comes with. I'm following the Hinsdale guide, using the MFS Tools 2.0 boot CD (ISO). Hopefully all goes well!
My next project will be to try to get the HD version of this Tivo to activate the USB, eventually hooking the Tivo up to my network for archival purposes :)
I was helping out a fellow team member today when he ran into a problem trying to merge two datasets.
We were trying to take a dataset fill it with data from one database.
Create a second dataset with data from a table of the same name but from another database.
Merge those two datasets together and put the merged data back into the first database. The problem with the dataset.merge functionality was that the datasets still had a rowstate of unchanged, which caused the update to not do anything.
To get around this we set the AcceptChangesDuringFill property of the second dataadapter to FALSE. This allowed the dataadapter to have it's contents as added, instead of unchanged. I am now just waiting for Jeff to get back from lunch to see if the update will function properly.
I got the answers to this problem from this post.
I think today's going to be a great day! One of my XML feeds last night didn't import on any of my servers, so I'm going through trying to track down why, I think I finally figure that one out.
I tried running windows updates on my home machine last night, then again this morning, I think it finally worked on the fifth time. Now I can't get it to work on my development machine, it appears that MS' servers are having problems because sometimes the page will load, sometimes it won't, sometimes it will load without the CSS files..... and they said it was a good day...
I've disabled comments in my blog because someone calling themselves Niles Radl at the IP address 220.127.116.11 has decided to spam them. Really it's not even spam, just stupid comments over and over on one of my postings.
UPDATE I TRIED to disable comments, but it appears to not work.... grrr
I can't seem to make any changes to my preferences through the admin interface....
I've made another cDotText
release, a DNN
2.0 module for .Text. Check it out
over on DnnCart
More Posts Next page »