So I had this bright idea, I'd setup VMWare on my desktop here at home and start playing with Windows 7, then I thought I would get a DNN website up and running in Windows 7, and record the whole thing with Camtasia. 24 hours later I've given up and am ready to go into manual labor! :)
VMWare's installation went great, Windows 7 installation went great, and was AMAZINGLY fast, under 20 minutes and the OS was installed in a new VM, and I was logged in. It went downhill from there. I downloaded Microsoft's Web Platform Installer to try and get the necessary prerequisites installed on the machine so that I could run the DotNetNuke application. IIS, SQL Express, .Net Framework, etc. This was the start of my troubles. The Web Platform Installer apparently installed IIS, but would choke when trying to install SQL Express, it would tell me it failed due to prerequisites. I think it was failing on the Windows Installer 4.5 requirement, though that was already installed based on my testing, read:attempt to download it from Microsoft.com and install it manually.
So I gave up on using the Platform installer for the remainder of the requirements and decided to install SQL Express manually with a download from Microsoft.com. That went even worse than the WPI. I attempted this 4 times last night, every time the installation process would lock up the Virtual Machine requiring a reset on the VM. I ended up giving up last night. Tonight I decided to try again, miraculously the installation process for SQL Express worked on the first attempt tonight, though I have no idea what was different from last night.
So I was happy at this point, progress was being made. I fired up Camtasia, configured my microphone, the recording window, and started to record the video. Download DNN, extract files, setup the permissions, setup an application in IIS, and then attempt to load the website. ERRrRrrrrrRrRrrrrr wrong, not gonna work. I got this nice error message
System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.
From searching around on the web this appears to be a common problem with IIS and UNC shares, the problem is this wasn’t a UNC share, it was on the C drive. After about an hour of trying to get it to work, changing the trust level, app pool settings, tons of permissions on the file system, I’ve given up. I have too many other things to work on to continue tracking down an error I’ve never received before! I’ve seen plenty of errors in my day, this one wasn’t an easy one to figure out. Perhaps I’ll come back to it another day, I’m likely just to setup a new VM with Vista on it and get that working, perhaps I’ll come back to Windows 7 again in a few months.
Can anyone confirm that this Panda named Gu Gu is related to Guthrie? If so, keep a close eye on him!
Gu Gu strikes again! Panda attacks zoo visitor
240-pound animal clamps down on leg of man who climbs into enclosure
I’m proud to say that I am going to be presenting at the January meeting of the CT DNN User’s group! It’s 1/13/2009 at Profitec / Prescient, One Barnes Park South, Wallingford, CT 06492.
If you’re in the area and want to learn how to quickly get into DNN module development be sure to come by the meeting! For more information check out the website.
One thing that came along with the new releases of DotNetNuke, all of the downloadable content was a transfer to Codeplex. One of the biggest benefits, in my personal opinion, of the move are getting rid of those annoyingly distracting and overreaching ads that were hosted on SourceForge.
Right now you can find some of the individual Module projects available over on Codeplex as well! I am not sure they are all moved yet, but I do know that the Wiki module is setup over there.
I am excited about this because the Wiki module has now been tied into the TFS source control options that Codeplex provides, making development and management of the source code easier. It also allows for individuals to download the latest source at any time and compile it themselves, so you can see changes to the Wiki module before they are available as official releases. Right now the Wiki module is the only one I know that is going this route, but if it works out well I wouldn’t be surprised to see other modules use this functionality that Codeplex provides.
A few things to keep in mind. Any “Current” source is completely unsupported! We (the Wiki module team) will do our best to always check in working code, but there are no guarantees that it will always compile. You can get the source, but use it at your own risk! If you aren’t comfortable with compiling your own source and making changes download code updates from the source at Codeplex is probably not recommend.