May 2009 - Posts
Back in January of this year I took a trip out to Connecticut and spent a week recording some of our DotNetNuke Training on DVD with none other than Carl Franklin of .NET Rocks fame. It was a fun week, Carl has an amazing studio going out there. What came of it is a two volume DVD collection.
I hope you find the DVD useful, I know I had a blast creating it! I look forward to recording more sessions with Carl soon.
In this series:
- Learn the basics of DotNetNuke and how it all works
- Get up to speed with how to install, maintain, and manage DotNetNuke websites
- Understand how to manage portals, users, and security roles within your website
- Learn how to effectively work with different modules including core and third party modules
- Understand the essentials of DNN design and skinning
- Get introduced to module development for DNN
Volume 1: Administration
- Portal Overview and Admin Settings
- Security Roles
- Host Settings
- Host Portals
- Host Administration
- Module Overview
- Module Installation
- Working with Modules
- FAQ Module
- iFRAME Module
- Survey Module
- Third Party Modules
- Blog Module
Volume 2: Design and Development
- Skinning Essentials
- Exploring a Skin Package
- Skin Usage
- Design and CSS
- Developer Environment Configuration
- Module Template Overview
- Module Manifests
- Module Code
- Module Packaging and End Notes
So there's a lot going on in the DotNetNuke world this week.
First, DotNetNuke 5.1 Beta was released, get it now and start testing! Only you can make it better by testing it to make sure all the bugs are squashed before the release!
Second, a milestone was hit and I think most of us missed it. I was conducting a DNN webinar today when I went to DotNetNuke.com to show everyone that Users Online module in action only to notice that DotNetNuke.com surpassed 700k registrations in the past couple of days! Congrats to all of the community for the growth, I can't wait to see it when it hits 1million registrations!
The OpenForce call for speakers finished up last week, and the Day Of DotNetNuke call for speakers ends today! Get your submissions in!
Nik Kalyani is at TechEd giving a presentation on DNN and Live Services too
So Tom and I finally recorded Show #6 of the DNNVoice Thursday evening. I didn’t get a chance to edit until this evening. Below is a copy/paste of the show notes from www.dnnvoice.com
Here’s a very nondescriptive overview of Show #6 of the DNNVoice. If you want to know what it’s all about download and listen!
Size: 29605617 28.91mb
What happened to April?
DNN Reactor / Corp News?
DotNetNukonomics / News
- I would like to learn all of the necessary steps to migrate code from my laptop up to an ISP. I have migrated the database, copied myDNN code up to my ISP, edited the PortalAlias table in the DB, and edited my Web.Config to hit my database at the ISP. Unfortunately, everything I’ve done fails and I keep seeing the following message, “An error has occurred. Object reference not set to the instance of an object.” Have I left any steps out? Please note, I did not do a clean install at my ISP but instead am doing a migration. Submitted By: Richard Boschulte
- With DNN offering proffessional support where does that leave the small fry independent developers that are providing support? Does, or has, DNN indicated that they are going to be creating a work force to help with the support tickets? Whats the word? Thanks, Herb Submitted By: Herb Benton
- what is difference between dnn 4.9.0 and 5.0.1 Submitted By: prasad
- To the issue of Parent & Child portals, Where the desired behavior is to provide a clean URL for a client ( a salon in the example) Such as www.myperfectsalon.com/Kraakwigs to www.Kraakwigs.com Wouldn’t it be possible to create a clean URL with a portal alias or a URLrewriter? I have provided this functionality using Frame Redirect (redirects to a URL within a frame to preserve the original URL) provided by the domain registar. Submitted By: Cliff Nelson
- The Day of DotNetNuke, June 13, Tampa, FL
- SDN June 26, in Houten, The Netherlands
- Send meeting info to email@example.com
Call for Questions