Well here we are, nearing the end of the month of October and coming up on the month of
NMovember once again. We here at DNNCorp are in our third year of supporting the Movember cause, growing facial hair on our upper lips to raise awareness and money for men’s health issues. Anyone can participate in Movember, and if you sign up, join a team, you can order some free materials from the Movember organization that you can use to help try and raise funds.
The rules for Movember are simple.
- Start clean shaven on Movember 1st (if you want to cheat here, I won’t frown upon starting completely clean shaven)
- Grow a moustache for the entire month, but it should be a moustache!
- It can’t connect to your sideburns, that is a beard
- It can’t connect at your chin, that is a goatee (handlebars are fine)
- Spread awareness about men’s health by engaging in conversations that start because of your moustache
- Conduct yourself like a gentleman.
How to be successful with a Moustache
Still not sure what Movember is? Check out my 5 minute IGNITE Session from DNNWorld 2012
Join a Team
DNNCorp has created two teams, one for our employees in the US, and one for our employees in Canada. Feel free to join one of these teams (preferably in your country of residence), or you can also create your own team (see below). Here are some links to the teams and the Network as a whole.
- Register at Movember – www.movember.com
- Join Team DNN US - http://us.movember.com/team/431777
- or Join Team DNN Canada - http://ca.movember.com/team/522613
- DotNetNuke Network - http://us.movember.com/mospace/network/DotNetNuke
Create your own team
We are encouraging companies or even DNN user groups to create their own Movember team, and then join the DNN Network, to get started head on over to Movember.com and register, then create your team and invite your friends and fellow employees to join your team. After you create your team email me chris.hammond @ dnncorp.com to let me know what your team URL is so that I can have it added to our Network, I don’t think you can do that yourself (but you might).
Download the Movember App
If you have an IPhone or Android device, there is a Movember app that you can download from the appropriate store. The app will allow you to track your donations, and even take a photo once a day for all 30 days for the month so that you can put together a short video at the end of the month tracking your progress.
Fundraising, start small
The point of Movember is to raise awareness for men’s health, you can do that through discussions, as well as by raising money for Movember. Donations then go between the Prostate Cancer Foundation and other organizations. I would encourage you to set a goal of raising $100 for Movember. With a few donations from friends and family raising $100 is hopefully a small enough goal that you can easily achieve it, then, if you desire, you can increase your goal and try to raise more money!
Movember starts in less than a week, head on over to Movember.com and register! Over the next few weeks I will be posting additional blogs with ideas on how you can reach out to friends/family to garner donations, as well as fun ideas for things you can do around the Movember theme.