Setting NTFS Permissions with C#

Posted Sunday, February 8, 2004 12:06 AM by CumpsD
Today I needed to set NTFS permissions in C# on some newly created directories.

No problem I thought, the CLR will have something for it somewhere in Security, so I checked Google in the hopes to find which class to use.

But Google didn't find anything... This amazed me. "Why can't I control NTFS permissions with .NET ?!?"

After looking for an hour or so, I found a GotDotNet User Sample, called 'ACLs in .NET'. Finally I thought, now it's going to be plug in and set rights.

Well this library is great. It makes settings NTFS rights so easy.

But it lacks a bit in documentation. Therefore I'm providing some of the code I used with it, it could help you. (or it could show my possibly bad coding style, as far as my knowledge goes for know, it should be fine)

Reference the dll, and use it.

using Microsoft.Win32.Security;

Here's a method to add a dir, and set NTFS permissions on it for a given user:

private Boolean CreateDir(String strSitePath, String strUserName) {

Boolean bOk;

try {

Directory.CreateDirectory(strSitePath);

SecurityDescriptor secDesc = SecurityDescriptor.GetFileSecurity(strSitePath, SECURITY_INFORMATION.DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION);

Dacl dacl = secDesc.Dacl;

Sid sidUser = new Sid (strUserName);

// allow: folder, subfolder and files

// modify

dacl.AddAce (new AceAccessAllowed (sidUser, AccessType.GENERIC_WRITE | AccessType.GENERIC_READ | AccessType.DELETE | AccessType.GENERIC_EXECUTE , AceFlags.OBJECT_INHERIT_ACE | AceFlags.CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE));

// deny: this folder

// write attribs

// write extended attribs

// delete

// change permissions

// take ownership

DirectoryAccessType DAType = DirectoryAccessType.FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES | DirectoryAccessType.FILE_WRITE_EA | DirectoryAccessType.DELETE | DirectoryAccessType.WRITE_OWNER | DirectoryAccessType.WRITE_DAC;

AccessType AType = (AccessType)DAType;

dacl.AddAce (new AceAccessDenied (sidUser, AType));

secDesc.SetDacl(dacl);

secDesc.SetFileSecurity(strSitePath, SECURITY_INFORMATION.DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION);

bOk = true;

} catch {

bOk = false;

}

return bOk;

} /* CreateDir */

The AceFlags determine the level of inheritance on the object.

And the DirectoryAccessType is used to create a AccessType with some permissions not in the AccessType enum.

I hope this is useful.

Filed under:

Comments

# re: Setting NTFS Permissions with C#

Sunday, February 8, 2004 5:36 AM by Spike

thanks for the code ;-)

Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:09 AM by Aero

Thanks, this was just what I was looking for.
Doesn't look difficult after all.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:19 AM by Tom Jones

There is no Microsoft.Win32.Security package

Wednesday, March 17, 2004 3:35 PM by Tom Jones

... right, sorry/thanks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 7:49 AM by manish gupta

nice article,it quench my programming hurdel....

Wednesday, May 5, 2004 4:04 PM by srfonden

This was extremeley helpful, thanks!!!

Sunday, June 6, 2004 8:59 AM by Chris

This is the most straight forward code example I have yet seen on this topic, however I belive there is a rather BIG SECURITY FLAW! You simply take the existing DACL and use AddAce twice to implement the permissions you desire. This may not always work if a Deny ACE already exists further up the ACL. ACE order is very important and it must be assured that ACEs are in the following order
Explicit Deny
Explicit Allow
Inherited Deny from parent
Inherited Allow from parent
Inherited Deny from grandparent
Inherited Allow from grandparent
Inherited Deny from great grand-parent
Inherited Allow from great grandparent
and so on.
Since the ACL is traversed from top to bottom, if an Allow ACE precedes a Deny ACE and the Deny ACE is a subset of the Allow ACE then the subset of denied users will actually be allowed.

The code above should probably be fixed by calling Dacl.PrepareAcesForACL before calling SecurityDescriptor.SetDacl

Also, any existing ACE entries in the original ACL should be checked to ensure there aren't any duplicates. Of course one way of avoiding checking and being absolutely certain that only the access you have allowed is allowed is by throwing out the existing Dacl and creating a new one from scratch.

-Chris

Sunday, June 6, 2004 3:32 PM by Chris

I am terribly sorry, I had thought I reviewed the Win32Security dll code carefully, however I missed the call to PrepareAcesForACL() that ultimately gets indirectly called by the SetDacl function. I've been researching how to do this for some time including reading some security books on common mistakes. Most of my reading brought me right to the windows api level (advapi32) where the SetDacl function does not take care of ACE ordering for you. I guess I got a bit over zealous and jumped the gun, I believe you are correct, your orginal code should work well.

-Chris

Sunday, June 6, 2004 9:24 PM by Chris

Adding the following line should take care of any Ace issues.
dacl.RemoveAces(sidUser);

I have looked in the source for Win32Security and the funciton returns false if the Dacl is null, empty, or an Ace for the sid specified is not found.

Monday, June 7, 2004 4:11 PM by Silvia Brunet JOnes

Can you help me on a couple of lines I need to write. All I need is to remove access to everyone to a particular file and then set read and write accress to one particular user. Help help ehlps

Tuesday, June 8, 2004 9:51 AM by Silvia Brunet Jones

How can I get a list of all the sid. is there are way to remove acces to all ?

Wednesday, June 23, 2004 6:12 PM by Jeremy Nunn

I wrote a short app that creates folders for users in Active Directory, and assigns permissions to them using this library. I was curious if permissions could be set on a network share (since we programmatically create a share of these folders once they are created.)

By default, the share gives 'Everyone' full control, and I would like to modify this. Can this be done using this or some other library.

Thursday, June 24, 2004 2:55 PM by Paul L

I used this library basically the same way you have, however, the containter inheritance does not seem to be working for me. I set the AceFlags to AceFlags.OBJECT_INHERIT_ACE | AceFlags.CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE, as you do, but when I look at the properties of a subfolder, it does not show the user in the security tab. If I subsequently add another user to the same folder using Explorer, then the user I added with code magically appears.

Does this work for anyone else?

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 4:20 AM by marcus

Hi, thanks for the Code !!

But I got an issue setting the owner ship of an user. Anything that I am doin is add a line to your code:

secDesc.SetOwner(sidUser);

This does not work, I am new to ACLs and stuff like that, what am I doing wrong ?

:marcus

Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:27 PM by Salim

Hi, Thanks for the code.
i want to access effective permission of logged in User for file as well as AD Object.
This DAcl gives me splitted permission and i dont know how to calculate effective permission for logged in user. I think there must be something but i dont know what and where?
I would be great if you guys can help me.

Thanks a million in advance.

Thursday, July 29, 2004 8:07 AM by Rin

I gone through your code. It was wonderful. I have added ASPNET user to my application folder access allowed user. I added your code to give it full-control. when i open the folder security settings its showing full control but my application is not working, once i open the application folder again i set ASPNET user permission to full control then its working fine. Pls suggest me What did I do wrong?

this is my Code

// strSitePath : Application Folder
// strUserName : ASPNET

Dacl dacl = secDesc.Dacl;

Sid sidUser = new Sid (strUserName);
secDesc.SetDacl(dacl);

Rin

Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:31 AM by Rin

Hi Cumps
nice to meet you

yes its checked but i am unable to get the files from sub folders

Rin

Thursday, July 29, 2004 12:43 PM by Rin

Hi Cumps

with your code only root directory getting the Full control permission.
How to get the permissions to sub folders of that root directory.

Rin

# re: copying NTFS Permissions with C#

Friday, July 30, 2004 10:37 AM by MVB

I have a question
I am copying some files from one folder to another.
I want to copy the NTFS permissions of the files too
Any Idea on how to do that???

Thanks
MVB

Saturday, July 31, 2004 10:40 AM by Rin

Hi Cumps
This is Rin

using your code can you tested the permissions for the Root directory and sub directories of that root directory?

can you have any idea or code for that Pls do favour.

Thanks
~Rin.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 5:57 AM by Mr ChriZ

Awesome Cheers David, worked like a charm.

It would be nice to see a codeproject article on this.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:02 AM by CumpsD

It's better to switch to .NET 2.0 which has built in classes now to set NTFS permissions :)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:46 AM by Mato

A have a question how to set a permission on a local printer.

I have tried with:

GetSecurityInfo(ptrPrinter, SE_OBJECT_TYPE.SE_PRINTER, SECURITY_INFORMATION.DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION)

and I get info about DACL and ACE-s, that added new ACE

and when I tried to save all the thing with

SetSecurityInfo(ptrPrinter, SE_OBJECT_TYPE.SE_PRINTER, SECURITY_INFORMATION.UNPROTECTED_DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION);

I got an error : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

What have I done wrong.

Help me please,

Mato

Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:16 PM by CumpsD

Have you checked the NTFS possibilities of .NET 2.0 already? I don't have an answer for your question, sorry.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 2:03 AM by zenkill

thanks for your codes.

but i hava one question.

how can i  show the user in the sharing tab's Pemission?not only in the security tab?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:22 PM by Peter Jacobs

Thanks for the code!

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:31 PM by Alex

Hi,

I have used your code to set "mofify permissions" to a folder for a specific user.

Everything works great except permission of child folders and files. Even thought they have "allow inheritable permissions..." check they dont seem to inherit that user.

Any idea what may i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Thursday, July 5, 2007 5:13 AM by Harry

How can i remove inheritance for a directory ?

Harry

Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:40 PM by Josh

thanks! Works great!

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:08 AM by Ralf

How can i remove inheritance for a file kill all rules and add a special user with rights ?

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:04 PM by Sanjay

Branden,

You can use Sid constructor to provide domain along with userid while creating AceAccessAllowed, as shown below:

acl.AddAce(new AceAccessAllowed(new Sid(userId, domain), AccessType.GENERIC_ALL, AceFlags.OBJECT_INHERIT_ACE | AceFlags.CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE));

Thursday, November 1, 2007 9:03 AM by Sanjay

Inheritance and all other things works fine with .Net 2.0, I am yet to sortout issue with 1.1, through GotDotNet sample.