IM Stati

How about MSN giving us some more useful IM statuses.  I like “Busy” and “Out to lunch”, but how about some new ones like:

• Stewing (ask me why I am mad)
  • Thinking (go away unless you agree with my ideas)
  • Be nice to me (sad)
  • Playing (it's only Tetris, feel free to bug me)

Etc.  What would be some other good ones?

Update:  Thinking about this some more, I think the IM status should basically be a weather report.  You could report the weather where you are (a la WeatherBug, but without the spyware), or your own emotional weather (mood).

Published Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:54 PM by datagridgirl

Comments

# re: IM Stati

Please disturb - feeling lonely :(

Sonu Kapoor

Thursday, May 20, 2004 12:56 AM by Sonu Kapoor

# re: IM Stati

I would have thought by now MS would have tied in custom stati to program's running.

Especially for...
Watching Movie (lots of ideas for media centre)
Presenting

And these could block out popups, etc.

I think it would be nice if I could attach a custom status to a machine - or a location. If I'm at home and I plug into the lan damnit - it should say that I'm home. Or at a client? Or in our classroom? or whatever.

I'd also like to have status that could be different for each of my contacts. Of course I'd also like it I could block my location from some people.

If you're going to put questions in your status, then you really should have a FAQ service - so when people ask - you don't have to go through the effort of typing it in...kind of like those faxback services.

Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:09 AM by Barry Gervin

# re: IM Stati

I forgot to sign out. Flood away

Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:11 AM by James Geurts

# re: IM Stati

Cool, and one more cool idea...

why not MSN introduce some cool Smart Tags for messages ?

Most of the users does'nt know much about chat jargon like BRB, CUL, JAM etc...MSN messenger can create smart tags for these words so that the users simply know what is that all meant for ? :)

Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:14 AM by Sudhakar

# re: IM Stati

I'd actually like MS to introduce a few for the workaholics

Out to Evening Meal
Out to Breakfast
Sleeping

Thursday, May 20, 2004 2:18 AM by Dan F

# re: IM Stati

Here's one I'd sometimes like:

Bored - please, please, please disturn me

Actually I can't understand why these aren't customisable.

Thursday, May 20, 2004 7:52 AM by Dave

# re: IM Stati

I run Trillian Pro to chat on MSN, Yahoo and AIM, and define my own "Away" status as the mood takes me.

At the moment favourites include "Scaring the kitchen" and "Giving my teddy bear a shower...". :)

Love,

Anna

Thursday, May 20, 2004 9:07 AM by Anna-Jayne Metcalfe

# re: IM Stati

Do what my daughters and their friends do: they change their Display Name to suit their status and/or mood about every 5 minutes.

Saturday, May 22, 2004 6:41 AM by Me

# re: IM Stati

I agree with me, which I always do of course.
You are never going to get a custom away message because msn passes the 'stati' around as integers. So just use your name, its far more flexiable anyways.

Saturday, May 22, 2004 1:37 PM by Dan Forsyth

# re: IM Stati

yah, Messenger Plus really helps...originally .NET My Services was going to have basically a status service, so if you were playing a game, it would say what game, maybe even what level, etc...becoming a little more context aware. maybe longhorn will address some of this...not sure

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 3:05 PM by HumanCompiler