In this post, I would like to talk about a new method of the Response object that comes with ASP.Net 4.0.
The name of the method is RedirectPermanent.
Let's talk a bit about 301 redirection and permanent redirection.301 redirect is the most efficient and Search Engine Friendly method for webpage redirection.
Let's imagine that we have this scenario. This is a very common scenario. We have redesigned and move folders to some pages that have high search engine rankings. We do not want to lose those rankings.
We can permanently redirect traffic to the new pages without losing page rankings by using the 301 permanent redirect. RedirectPermanent help us to achieve that.
In order to demonstrate this new helper method, I will create the default asp.net website that comes with asp.net 4.0.
1) Fire VS 2010 and create a new website. Choose the filesystem to save your website ann VB as the .net language for this website
This is a much richer template that the previous ones that were created with VS 2008.
We have a Home page and an About page.
2) Create a new page and call it NewAbout (NewAbout.aspx)
3) Write some dummy content on it like "This is our new About us page"
4) Move to the About.aspx.vb, and in the page load event, type the following
Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
5) Now run your application and then click "About" page. You will permanently redirect to the new "NewAbout" page.
Hope it helps!!!!