VBCommenter 1.2.5 FINAL released
Anyone who is using VB.NET and wished for support for XML comment generation (NDoc, anyone?) should be using VBCommenter. As I found myself in that very situation over the last few months, I've made some fairly major improvements to the VBCommenter add-in, and have wrapped up a new release.
After struggling with IE trying to convince it to load hosted .Net controls using the 1.1 framework (I have the VS.NET 2005 beta installed and, by default, IE will use the latest runtime for hosted controls), I've managed to get the 1.2.5 VBCommenter release completed, in source control, and available. Head to the VBCommenter Workspace Home for the download. Here are the highlights between 1.2 and 1.2.5:
- Major speed improvements (mostly related to schema and XML validation handling). For example, a large project that took 14 minutes to build using 1.2 and 2 minutes without VBCommenter takes about 2.5 minutes with 1.2.5.
- Improved comment schema (includes all NDoc extensions to the XML comment schema)
- Improved XML validation and task list reporting
- Fixed defect relating to Reporting Services projects (MSDN article ID 842434) - your Intellisense will no longer go away when you build a solution with a Reporting Project in it.
- Improved interoperability with other add-ins by not forcing the IDE to shadow copy all assemblies it loaded in the add-in appdomain. This is known to resolve issues with BizTalk 2004, Borland's Together Edition for Microsoft Visual Studio .Net, and (potentially) AnkhSVN.
- <see cref=""/> will output the correct XML for the cref attribute.
- The XmlWriter.FindType method has been simplified and its speed improved dramatically, increasing the reliability and performance of the add-in.
- cref resolution is much better - If your class has a method called "Log" and you want to reference it, the generated cref will be correct instead of pointing to System.Diagnostics.Log
- Handles Enterprise Template Projects correctly
- Reads assemblies in read-only mode to avoid locking the file or the inability to load the assembly if the IDE has it locked
- Fixes issues with duplicate comment prefixes being created
- Renders variables declared as "WithEvents" as properties (which is how the WithEvents keyword is implemented in IL) to allow NDoc to find the appropriate comments for the field.