My Latest Silverlight Articles

Over the past few months I've been writing articles for the .NET Insight insight newsletter covering various ASP.NET AJAX concepts.  You can read those article here.  I've wrapped up that series and have started writing about Silverlight 1.0 and 2.  Each week (or so) a new article will be published and I'll update them here so check back.  The articles are designed to be focused and concise and get straight to the topic without a lot of fluff.  Scroll to the bottom of the list to see the newest articles.

If you're interested in learning more about Silverlight 2.0 you can view 8 video tutorials that I put together here.

Logo

For more information about online and video training solutions for .NET, SharePoint or Silverlight please visit http://www.TheWahlinGroup.com.

Published Monday, February 9, 2009 4:23 PM by dwahlin
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

# re: My Latest Silverlight Articles

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:46 AM by Sam Montgomery

Dan,

I have been following your article "Using Microsoft's Sivlerlight Control in a Web Site".  So far everything seems straight foreward and I am able to get your example to show up on a ASP.NEt web page.  I am using VS2005 and whenever I open up the XAML file I need an assembly reference so that it know what a Canvas is etc...

Thanks,  Sam

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:52 PM by davidlarew

Please, direct me to a carousel sample that doesn't require a web service as I'm behind a locked down network.

Thanks,

David Larew

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:05 PM by dwahlin

I don't have any code available that doesn't call the Amazon Web Service, however, since all of the source code is downloadable you can certainly tweak it do hit a database or XML file instead if interested.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:38 AM by jantu

Great, It was very helpful.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:38 AM by dwahlin

Thanks Garbin...I'm going to add a little about the service release update to the article.  Some people may have auto-updates turned off so it's good to know about still so developers don't waste time thinking it's something they did wrong.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 8:58 AM by Steve

Request:

I see much of Silverlight and demo's of 'drawing' on a canvas.  I'd like to see more examples of using Silverlight to use with 'forms'

ie. a form with a dropdown populated from the database, user fills it out with validation, sees each 'submit' filling a grid (ie think shopping cart), doing all that with Silverlight.

Thanks for the articles

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:03 PM by dwahlin

Thanks for the suggestion Steve.  There aren't any built-in controls for doing a DropDownList or grid in Silverlight 1.0 so you'd have to overlay HTML controls on top of a canvas using CSS (although grid-like output could certainly be created).  However, Silverlight 2.0 will have the controls you mention and will allow grids and other types of things to be used without writing a lot of code to do it.  Once a new release is out of 2.0 I'll more than likely start writing about that as well since it's going to offer some very cool features.

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:00 PM by Prabin

Silverlight with XAML is awesome.I want to know what type of XML parser  does silverlight use to parse large XAML file?

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:43 PM by pbromberg

Hey Dan,

Some wiseguy put in  a comment with a very long title at your Visual Studio Magazine SL article and it's throwing the article text way down to the bottom of the page.

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:17 PM by dwahlin

Thanks Peter....I'll let the Visual Studio Magazine people know.

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:56 AM by ronnieedin

Hi,

I was going through your article weblogs.asp.net/.../pushing-data-to-a-silverlight-client-with-sockets-part-i.aspx

I had a question. Here you demonstrate how a single server can serve the same data to multiple clients. What if I have to server multiple data from the same server to multiple clients?

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:46 AM by Marino Posadas

Hi Dan

in your latest example (at V.Studio Magazine) you use a hlSytle which I couldn't find around. Could you post its content?

thanks a lot

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:07 PM by dwahlin

Hi Marino,

Here you go:

<Application.Resources>

<Style x:Key="hlStyle" TargetType="HyperlinkButton">

<Setter Property="Height" Value="30" />

<Setter Property="Margin" Value="40,14,0,0" />

<Setter Property="Foreground" Value="White" />

</Style>

</Application.Resources>

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:04 AM by Daze55

Hello Dan,

I made a Silverlight 2 beta 2 version of your application "Album Viewer" with a WCF web service and not a single line of Javascript (only C#).  The xaml albums  are now generated at the client level using a more oriented object approach (I generate the album entity form xaml and modify its properties dynamically).

If you want I could send it to you. I think it's interesting to see the differences between what had to be done in the previous 2 versions and what can be done in the now, for someone like me and many windows form developers (who hate javascript) SL2 represents a great improvement.

Anyway, I have to thank you because this work was useful for me to learn the basic silverlight functionality.

Regards,

Raphael

p.s please excuse my bad english as it's not my native language.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:26 PM by dwahlin

Raphael,

Thanks for letting me know about what you've worked on.  I actually converted it to Silverlight 2 for a book I'm working on and some conference talks (haven't posted it yet though since I'm waiting on Amazon.com to get cross domain files fixed up for Silverlight), but I'd be interested in seeing what you've done to compare techniques.  Feel free to send it over when you get a chance.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:25 AM by Daze55

hello Dan,

Do you have an email address I could use to send it?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:07 PM by dwahlin

Daze55,

I don't want to post the address here due to spammers, but contact me through the http://www.xmlforasp.net site and I'll respond to you directly so you have it.  Click the Contact link.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:07 AM by Steve

Thanks for the articles.  I have a request:

Can you show more 'Silverlight forms' - with masked textboxes, validation , etc...?

Perhaps a shopping cart where you enter some data, show the cart, etc...

I've been wanting to use Silverlight for a rich form based concept, but not sure how well it can handle it right now.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:55 PM by Steve

I'd like a quick easy demo on using ADO Data services/Entity framework with Silverlight!