Creating Metro Style Icons with Metro Studio

I normally don’t post about 3rd part software or giveaways but I’m really impressed with Syncfusion’s new Metro Studio product after downloading it today (registration required). It’s includes 600 free icons and you can easily customize the icons. I don’t know how long the free offering will last but it’s worth registering to get a key while it’s available (nobody from Syncfusion asked me to post about the program by the way – I just liked it). Here’s what the program looks like (very Metro-ish):

image

Once you download and install Metro Studio you’ll have access to all of the icons in various categories. That’s fantastic if you’re not super artistic like me since the more icons I have access to the better. What really surprised me though was the editor that’s included in Metro studio since it lets you change things like the size of the icon, padding, shape, background color, and even icon color. Everything can be done visually without having to be a graphics guru….pretty impressive.

image

In addition to being able to customize the icons, you’ll find a XAML button at the bottom of the editor if you’d like to get pure XAML (useful for Windows Phone or Windows 8 Metro apps built using XAML) and you can get a .png image by clicking the Save button which is great for HTML/JS Windows 8 Metro app developers.

image

Needless to say, I’m impressed. I’ve come across a lot of icon packages, but the level of customization provided and ease of use makes this little utility stand above anything else I’ve seen and lets non-graphics guys like me get different icons going quickly and easily. I don’t know anyone involved with creating the utility, but I’m really liking it and appreciate the free offer.

My good friend Tim Heuer also has a nice post about Metro style icons and accessing them in Blend. Check it out here.

Published Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:15 AM by dwahlin
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Creating Metro Style Icons with Metro Studio

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:49 AM by Michael

This...is...awesome...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:39 AM by dwahlin

Michael: I agree - cool little app.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:33 AM by SRK

This tool is really awesome!!. It will be really helpful for me like developers. Metro Studio is the only icon collection that we will ever need for building Metro-style applications. It rocks!!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:50 AM by Kevin Daly

I downloaded it, got the message saying an email with instructions and an unlock code had already been sent, but actually all that was sent was an email asking for feedback.

In the absence of an unlock code I was unable to complete installation...so for me that was just a waste of the time it took to download it.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:07 AM by AbelebA

Thanks for sharing.  I got my copy and will be checking it out soon...

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:46 AM by David

Is anyone else not receiving an email with the license code? I forwarded this to several of my co-workers and none of them have received a license code either.  Am I missing something?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:46 PM by dwahlin

David: I think they may have had a mad rush and run into a few problems. Hopefully you got your key by now but if not I'd contact them. I got in early I guess. :-)

Dan

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:15 AM by David

Dan, You're right! I just got the license key. Thanks for the great find!

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:39 PM by dwahlin

David: Awesome! Glad you got it. A nice little tool for sure.

Dan

Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:56 PM by Bill G

Looks great. However, it initializes in full screen mode and wipes my desktop until cancelled or re-sized.

# re: Creating Metro Style Icons with Metro Studio

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:11 PM by Reno Computer Repairs and Website Development Services

This is a cool tool! Thanks for sharing!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:52 PM by Ian

Dan, thanks so much for sharing this. This is a big help!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:52 PM by Derek Wildstar

Icons and tool are great, but the sales folks called me several times wanting me to buy.  Waaaay too pushy.  They have left me alone since I asked them too though.