Gaston Milano's WebLog

News

General

Usability

VS Automation

VSIP

VSIP: Whidbey Commands on VS 2003

This is a sample of using Automation on a VSIPExtras package.

If you don't know how many things you can do with automation I recommend you read this book http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

I don't want wait for Whidbey in order to use a couple of useful commands in the IDE, then I implemented them for VS2003.

Documentation (Full documentation will be available on Whidbey documentation :)

• Close All but this  ( Close all document windows but this)
  • Copy Full Path    (  Copy the full path of the active document to the clipboard )
  • Show File In Explorer ( Show File in Explorer :)

Installation:

• Download   (Code included)  Check this post
  • Open visual studio command prompt and run "devenv /setup"

Posted: May 05 2004, 12:05 PM by GMilano | with 32 comment(s)
Filed under: ,

Comments

Jerry Dennany said:

Cooly - If you were doing requests, what about "Collapse All Projects" in the solutions explorer?
# May 5, 2004 4:00 PM

BEM said:

Excellent! Thanks!
# May 6, 2004 1:59 PM

HumanCompiler said:

Too Awesome...thanks! :)
# May 6, 2004 4:29 PM

atempcode@yahoo.com said:

The add-in does not work on my computer. The context menu item shown, but nothing happened when click any one of them. I put break point in the exec method, but it never reached.
# May 8, 2004 9:54 PM

GMilano said:

There is an error in the setup, it consider that you have your system disk in c:\windows,
Change this registry key with your systemfolder path in order to fix this problem

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1Exp\Packages\{8731d559-6762-4e0d-adf0-a36d8d7e827e}
InprocServer32 = (SystemFolder)\mscoree.dll

Just to know, where do you have your system folder, because I was having problems in some machines then I wanna know if this could be the cause.
Thanks.
# May 8, 2004 10:48 PM

atempcode@yahoo.com said:

My system folder is c:\windows as default.
Thanks,
Michael
# May 9, 2004 9:29 PM

Dave Kozikowski said:

I'm having the same issue as atempcode@yahoo.com The menu appears but nothing happens when I invoke it
# May 19, 2004 1:49 PM

GMilano said:

open the installation folder and add the Microsoft.VisualStudio.VSIP.Helper.dll to the GAC.
I mean "gacutil -i Microsoft.VisualStudio.VSIP.Helper.dll"

# May 20, 2004 10:26 AM

Dave Kozikowski said:

Did that Still no luck nothing happens I copied Microsoft.VisualStudio.VSIP.Helper.dll into the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Bin directory and ran the gacutil but it still dosent work.

# May 20, 2004 4:51 PM

Dan Pupek said:

I can't get it to work. I have added it to the GAC with no luck.
# June 3, 2004 8:44 AM

Andreas Schöneck said:

Whats the matter with running the devenv /setup in the VS command promt? Perhaps that will get it work...
# June 4, 2004 10:08 AM

Oliver Canada said:

I didn't succeed in running it. I have windows 2000 Professionnal. I made all updates you said (registry key + GAC) and it still doesn't work. Do you know why?
# June 11, 2004 8:17 AM

Oliver Canada said:

After installing C++ components from Visual Studio 2003, I got the 3 new items displayed but still no action attached to them. If someone got he solution...
# June 11, 2004 8:55 AM

Jochen said:

I can't get it running too! I can't find the key in the registry....
# June 17, 2004 9:09 AM

Jochen (again) said:

I found that key @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Packages\{051eb58c-fb72-486e-af47-d99ab9fdfeb0} but it did not run at all .... :-(
# June 17, 2004 9:19 AM

TTom said:

I cannot download this sample. Could you please make it available? Are these menu items on the context menu of a file tab, aren't they? Could you please tell me how can I add/remove menu items from that? I searched through the QueryStatus methods, but I did not find any suitable for implementing this. Thanks

# June 30, 2008 11:35 AM