Gaston Milano's WebLog

News

General

Usability

VS Automation

VSIP

CoolCommands 3.0 for Visual Studio 2005

It is time for a new version of coolcommands because I found 3 new coolcommands:

• Thomas Freudenberg suggested the need of a menu item to each project item which spawns the command “explorer /e, /select,<filepath>” This opens the explorer and select the specified file.

For more about Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/130510

• Andres Aguiar suggested having a “Copy Reference” over a project so that you don’t need to open the Add References Dialog if you want to add a Project to Project reference; you just need to select “Copy Reference” over the project and after Paste Reference over the target.

• The last one for this release is “Add Projects From Folder” over a Solution

Several times I need to add a couple of projects to a Solution and it is a bit heavy add them one by one. So this command scan the selected folder for projects and shows a dialog with the projects found, in this dialog you select what projects you want to add to the solution.

A last good new, I created a setup for coolcommands ;)

Download CoolCommands

Comments

Nathan Brouwer said:

Hiya,

could ya give a full list of commands currently supported? I very much enjoy your tool but Im probably missing half of the new commands...

Besides that, it would be very nice to have a "close file" option on the context menu... Or, is there any way to do a quick "close file" (except ctrl f4).

When I right click to top bar (with the open files) I get "close this file", "close all files but this"... How handy would it be to have another option there "Close all files"...
# May 11, 2006 4:43 AM

Brendan Segraves said:

I use hotkeys for that. I mapped <alt>-x to "close this file" and <alt>-s to "close all files".
# May 11, 2006 1:10 PM

Avner Kashtan said:

To quickly close the current file/tab, just middle-click on the tab-bar. It doesn't even have to be on the tab itself - anywhere on the tabstrip is fine. Just found out about it a few days ago and even blogged about it in joy and wonder. :)
# May 12, 2006 7:45 AM

Nathan Brouwer said:

@Avner
Nice one, didn't know about the middle button. I did read about it but I couldn't get it to work. Now I know that you have to middle click on the tabstrip...

Cheers for that...

@Brendan
Yes, you're right, I do have some mappings configured (ctrl-alt-shift-b = build page) and I could easily add another mapping...
# May 12, 2006 8:01 AM

Jan Van Ryswyck said:

I have version 2.0 installed for Visual Studio 2005. How can I uninstall this version before installing version 3.0?
# May 13, 2006 6:47 PM

GMilano said:

Hi Jan, you can install the 3.0 version and just delete the old folder were 2.0 is. The registry keys for 3.0 are the same so your registry will be ok, without orphans keys.
# May 13, 2006 9:42 PM

Jan Van Ryswyck said:

Thanks for your help!
# May 14, 2006 8:48 AM

Thomas Freudenberg said:

Hi Gaston, nice to see my suggestion implemented. However, as far as I can see, "Open containing folder" really only opens the containing folder. The project item selected in the solution window is not selected in the explorer.
# May 14, 2006 8:37 PM

Dror Engel said:

i installed coolcommands few times on my notebook
i opened vs 2005 and did not see any changes
no new options when i right click on solution , folder and more
do i miss something?

Dror
# May 16, 2006 2:03 PM

Fabrice Marguerie said:

Thanks for this useful addin, Gaston!

One suggestion: could you add something that would allow visually editing the path (HintPath) for references? Currently, the only ways to change the path for a reference are: edit the .csproj by hand or remove/add the reference.

# July 27, 2006 8:49 AM

Lakario said:

It seems as though the link at the top is dead, do you have a working one?

# May 19, 2007 1:14 PM

MrToes said:

Nice toolset!

Mike: The installer does take a while to complete. Note that if you have Visual Studio running when you run the installer it will block until all instances of msdev.exe have closed.

The "Resolve Project References" option is very cool. This will add all necessary projects to satisfy unresolved references.

I've only tried a few other options but seems like they have a few issues.

Add projects from folder just seems to want to add all projects in a folder, regardless of whether I ticked them or not.

Collapse projects is very useful but doesn't work for projects that are in a solution folder.

It's been a while since the last release so I guess these issues are unlikely to get fixed. Understandable, it is a free download after all :)

Matthew

# June 20, 2007 7:04 AM

Mike said:

Weird, my last comment never showed up.

On Vista:

The MSI would error out after giving user control to devenv.exe.

In order to get it to install I created a batch file containing msiexec /i "PATH_TO_CoolCommands30.msi"

Then I ran the batch file it as administrator and it installed fine.

# June 22, 2007 11:31 AM

Adron said:

Couldn't get an active connection/link to the download above.  I think the server is down.

# July 1, 2007 5:19 PM

Mladen Mihajlovic said:

Your download is not working. The file or folders cannot be found.

# July 2, 2007 1:34 AM

Alex said:

Downloadlink seems to be broken...

Is there an alternative d/l?

# July 5, 2007 6:36 AM

Mike said:

Derek, look 2 comments up -- the 4.0 MSI is the current download.

# July 27, 2007 5:44 PM

Justin Robinson said:

Hello,

I just tried to download and try your addin, but I got a 404.  Do you need some extra hosting?  I could throw your MSI onto my FTP (1&1 hosted) and give you a personal login/password for the updates.  Just a thought (that I hope you'll take me up on!)...

Justin

# July 31, 2007 11:09 PM

DieHard said:

Can you please make an .msi installer of coolcommands40.zip (which gives me the option to uninstall it too) please?

Thanks!

# September 25, 2007 2:38 AM

Claudio Lassala said:

Does the current version of Cool Commands work with VS 2008 RTM?

# November 27, 2007 12:47 PM

Claudio Lassala said:

Yes, that specific option is there. However, I'm not aware of VS 2008's versions that compare to some features in Cool Commands:

Copy / Paste reference

Collapse all Projects

Visual Studio Prompt Here

Find in Solution Explorer

# November 29, 2007 4:03 PM

mathmax said:

I don't understand if Cool Commands work with VS 2008 RTM, doesn't it ?

# December 28, 2007 7:02 AM

Robert S. said:

The 'Open Containing Folder' command is quite helpful. Couldn't you provide this for the solution node and for folder nodes ('Open Folder') in the solution explorer as well?

Another thing that I would appreciate is if there would be a command in the solution explorer's context menu to close all open files of a certain project.

You may want to think about it. Anyway, thank you for this little helper.

# January 23, 2008 2:18 AM

Stephen Caffo said:

Is there an msi for version 4.0?  I just can't get it to install with the setup.bat

I have vs 2005 and vs 2008 installed (plus each sdk).  I tried specifying the proper versions of regpkg.exe, codbase switch and devenv.exe but cool commands does not show up in either version of visual studio.

It's an add-in right?  Is there some step I'm missing?

Thanks.

Steve

# April 2, 2008 9:22 AM

1eeurope said:

the tool is cool but it's a pitty that the open folder dialog doesn't remember the last postition it was. i always have to browse through my directories

# November 18, 2008 7:41 AM

Asina said:

<a href= bestpre.com ></a>

# December 2, 2008 2:47 PM

Semil said:

<a href= spiritez.com ></a>

# December 5, 2008 9:54 PM

ben, germany said:

Hi,

i want to extend your addin. Can u send me the source code ?

If yes, i will leave u my email. I want to stay on visual studio 2005 and not 2008. What be nice and great.

bye

# March 1, 2009 2:10 PM

wired ipad application said:

you can make it through the rain. you stand up once again on my own.

-----------------------------------

# December 22, 2010 7:29 AM

ipad case said:

-----------------------------------------------------------

yea good Perform

# January 8, 2011 10:51 PM

football said:

Hello! I love watching football and I loved your blog as well.

# June 1, 2011 12:27 AM

Julianna Chesnutt said:

hank for this superior web log! I completely appreciate it!

# June 30, 2011 5:04 PM

Stefan Gedman said:

Strange, your page shows up with a red hue to it, what color is the main color on your website?

# July 8, 2011 8:53 PM

mickael said:

Hi there

I'm getting back to a very very old project under vs 2005 that I've not been using for years; trying to get cool commands but the link is broken... please could anyone provide a working link?

# September 9, 2011 4:06 AM

tinnitus cure said:

pZ4SsE I loved your article post. Great.

# March 4, 2012 6:59 PM

tensiometro said:

aqcEKE I read online (computer problems) positive feedback about your resource. Didnt even believe it, and now saw myself. It turned out that I was not fooled!...

# March 4, 2012 8:04 PM

Andres H said:

Just downloaded version 3.0

I am running VS2005, 2008 and 2010 under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, but..

The system gave an error 2834 and rolled back the installation.. ¿any clue?

# June 17, 2012 9:57 AM

Site Geo location said:

Thanks for share the article

# October 11, 2012 7:28 PM