Gunnar Peipman's ASP.NET blog

ASP.NET, C#, SharePoint, SQL Server and general software development topics.

Sponsors

News

 
 
 
DZone MVB

Links

Social

April 2008 - Posts

SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services - save your time!

Some time ago I tried out SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services and I was amazed. I'm serious MS Paint terrorist and nice pictures are not one of my strong skills. So, if something makes things look nice to me I'm very happy.

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

SharePoint: Save performance when getting list items

Another day, another solved mystery. Developers have interesting lifes as long as there are problems to solve. Another surprise from SharePoint - how to bog server down using only couple of lines of code? Of course, I have solution too that eliminates the issue.

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

Why MOSS2007 Content Import Fails?
And another discovery about SharePoint 2007 content deployment. You should be aware of forbidden file types. When making mass import of content then import fails when it finds forbidden file type. All files after first forbidden file will not be imported. I don't know if this blog entry has some value or not but maybe I will save somebody's time about hours or days :)

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Unity and singletons

I just putted up Unity behind my test project and had some troubles with singletons. There is some misleading information in documentation you should be aware of. I created one class and one interface, both in same project to save some time.

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

SharePoint import ruins create and modification dates

When exporting and importing data between SharePoint Server 2007 webs I found interesting bug - item creation and last modification dates will be lost during import. Example - document is created at 05.04.2008. After import I checked out data in manifest.xml. Everything seemed to be correct - also modification and creation dates of documents. After export these dates are incorrect. Instead of original dates I can see date and time of export instead of original dates. Dirty guy as I am I also sniffed around in SharePoint database - I saw correct dates there! But when looking my document library through browser I saw incorrect dates. Does anybody know what is the problem? Is it bug and is there any workaround to this problem?

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

SharePoint: Changing comments of document versions in code

During one SharePoint migration project I had problem with document versions comments. I needed some way to set these in my code. As I didn't found any normal way to do it through SharePoint API I worked out something I call dirty hack. But it works.

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

How to bulletproof the loops

Here is one example about how to bulletproof the loops. This example holds well for legacy code and - of course - for hurry-written-code (that might be the current one, unfortunately).

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

Using Version Class

When dealing with version numbers we often need to convert them to string and vice versa. There is lot of code where versions are handled manually in code. I don't know why. But I know for sure there is class called Version and I'm sure this class will help us a lot.

 

NB! This blog is moved to gunnarpeipman.com

Click here to go to article

More Posts