Wednesday, January 28, 2004 9:35 AM Jan Tielens

UPDATE: For solution when using WSE, see here!

Sometimes when you invoke a webservice the call fails with the following exception:

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ...

In some cases the first call to the webservice works just fine, but if in the following few minutes no new call to the webservice is made, the next call would throw the exception shown above. This problem could be solved by altering the generated proxy class; in the GetWebRequest function the KeepAlive property must be set to false. This can be accomplished by following these steps:

• Add a Web Reference using the normal way (if you haven't already added one ofcourse).
  • Make sure Show All Files menu item is enable in the Project menu.
  • In the Solution Explorer window, navigate to:
    • Web References
      • <Name of your webservice>
        • Reference.map
          • Reference.cs (or .vb)
  • Open the Reference.cs file and add following code in the webservice proxy class:
    protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)
    {
     System.Net.HttpWebRequest webRequest =
      (System.Net.HttpWebRequest) base.GetWebRequest(uri);
     webRequest.KeepAlive = false;
     return webRequest;
    }

Comments

# re: Solving "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send." (Webservices)

Wednesday, January 28, 2004 5:55 PM by Todd Kuhns

Thanks Jan,
This was a particularly frustrating problem for me There is a KB article 819450 that is pretty close to what I experienced, except that I had .Net 1.1 installed.
I could also refresh the page and the request would complete just fine.
In addition to the solution you mention, I also nested about 3 Try...Catch blocks to have the request "auto-retry". That way if I mistakenly refreshed the Web Reference, I'd still be covered.
(As excited as I am about 2.0, it's really cool to see a non-Whidbey solution, too!)

Thanks! Todd

Tuesday, February 10, 2004 1:23 PM by Jim Davis

Jan,

Thanks you saved my bacon today, our webservice keeps timing out over this. I had to convert it to VB.NET cause I don't know C-Shizarp.

Sample I Used:

Protected Overrides Function GetWebRequest(ByVal uri As Uri) As System.Net.WebRequest
Dim webRequest As System.Net.HttpWebRequest = MyBase.GetWebRequest(uri)
webRequest.KeepAlive = False
Return webRequest
End Function

Wednesday, March 3, 2004 6:10 AM by samy

I have an application which invokes(calls) a webservice (on IIS 5.0 , windows 2K) every 10 seconds.
After a long time(about 4 hours),the call to the webservice fails.
Do you know how to resolve the problem.

Monday, March 29, 2004 2:18 PM by Jiho Han

There seems to be a problem with this solution.
I use Windows authentication to connect to the service and while dev'ing I use a specific NetworkCredential rather than the default one. It seems by turning the keepalive off, it somehow disables the use of credentials as well.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 3:53 PM by Anthony

Has anyone resolved the issue of using the KeepAlive=False workaround in conjunction with WSE?

Thursday, April 29, 2004 4:02 PM by saeed

I am having the same problem also. When I incorporated the Keep alive chnage it gives me access denied error. I would rellay appreciate if any one help me out on this access denbied issues.

Friday, April 30, 2004 10:38 AM by Skeup&amp;Zeb

We have found a workaround for settings KeepAlive to False with WSE (tested with WSE 1.0 SP1).

We use reflection to get the underlying HttpWebRequest object through the SoapWebRequest.Request (undocumented and internal) property...

That's quite ugly, but that works...

Instead of directly modifying the wrapper class for the web service, we prefer subclassing it as follows :

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Reflection;

// Web service reference entered in wizard was "MyWebService.MyWebServiceWse"
using MyProject.MyWebService;

namespace MyProject
{
public class MySubClassedWebService : MyWebServiceWse {
private static PropertyInfo requestPropertyInfo = null;

public MySubClassedWebService(){}

protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri) {
WebRequest request = base.GetWebRequest(uri);

if (requestPropertyInfo==null)
// Retrieve property info and store it in a static member for optimizing future use
requestPropertyInfo = request.GetType().GetProperty("Request");

// Retrieve underlying web request
HttpWebRequest webRequest = (HttpWebRequest)requestPropertyInfo.GetValue(request, null);

// Setting KeepAlive
webRequest.KeepAlive = false;
return request;
}
}
}

Friday, April 30, 2004 1:59 PM by saeed

I am having problem getting the Request object from the request object. The return value of request.GetType().GetProperty("Request") is coming up as null. Am I doing anything wrong?

Friday, April 30, 2004 2:55 PM by saeed

I think may be I am using WSE2.0 and this property available.

Wednesday, May 5, 2004 4:55 PM by Schwank

MUCHAS GRACIAS to Skeup&Zeb.

The original MS fix did not work as we are using WSE, however Zeb's Reflection fix seems to make everything right in the world.

Thanks!!!

Thursday, May 6, 2004 2:29 PM by saeed

Schwank,
When I am trying to execute the follwing line
requestPropertyInfo = request.GetType().GetProperty("Request");
The requestPropertyInfo does not contain any values. Looks like there is no request property. Am I doing something wrong

Friday, May 7, 2004 5:54 PM by Schwank

I did not use the method above exactly as indicated, I stripped the class inheritance and added the code directly to my overridden GetWebRequest method. Code is below...

protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)
{
PropertyInfo requestPropertyInfo = null;

WebRequest request = base.GetWebRequest(uri);

if (requestPropertyInfo==null)

requestPropertyInfo = request.GetType().GetProperty("Request");

// Retrieve underlying web request

// Setting KeepAlive
webRequest.KeepAlive = false;

return request;
}

Make sure you include the System.Net and System.Reflection namespaces as well. Otherwise the provided code worked brilliantly for me, using WSE 1.0 SP1.

Monday, May 10, 2004 3:35 PM by Jiho Han

I have a similar problem with some of the folks above. Somehow turning keepalive off seems to disrupt my authentication(Windows in my case). What is WSE and is this the solution to my dilemma?

Thursday, July 1, 2004 2:06 PM by Mroku

saeed,

Look at the original solution posted by Jan.
Solutions by Schwank and Skeup&Zeb seem to be a bit overcombinated.

There is no need to use that property info.
Just use the request object returned by the call to base.GetWebRequest(uri)

One more thing. For me changing only .KeepAlive to false didn't help at all.
However when I changed also .ProtocolVersion to HTTP10 the problem was gone.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004 7:21 AM by Fadi Alsheikh

We have the same problem ! and I tried to fix the problem using the keepalive = false
Statement I am really frustrated it doesn’t work, our setup contains a sun machine with reverse proxy with .Net application server when the client try to access the web service error message appear saying "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send." Please help….

Saturday, July 8, 2006 11:34 AM by Marc Clifton

Well, 2 years later, and a big thank you for posting this, as it lead to the solution for figuring out why I was getting a "server committed a protocol violation".  Had to set the ProtocolVersion to HttpVersion.Version10.

Thanks again!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:24 AM by Soussan Mikael

The best thing is to copy paste in reference.cs the following code

protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)

{

System.Net.HttpWebRequest webRequest =

(System.Net.HttpWebRequest) base.GetWebRequest(uri);

webRequest.KeepAlive = false;

return webRequest;

}

...But if you can control the server that are hosting ws and this server is not hosting websites as change enable keep alived connections property to disable and this will solve the bug.

I have done this...and it works well

Monday, August 28, 2006 6:18 PM by Dixon Villanueva

We are trying to add compression to our WS and we are getting the following error : "The operation has timed-out. ... GetRequestStream()" when the WS make several requests in a short period of time.

We added the following code to accept compressed response:

protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)

{

System.Net.WebRequest request = base.GetWebRequest(uri);

request.Headers.Add("Accept-Encoding", "gzip, deflate");

return request;

}

It seems that the proxy class is trying to open too many connections to the server when the WS asks several requests in a short period of time and it is not capable of reusing the existing open connections, (i read that max persistent connections to a server is 2 by http protocol limitation). I used TcpTrace to verify this. The odd thing is that, when i use tcptrace, several connections (let's say ten, one per request) are opened without problem. Any ideas?

I tried KeepAlive = false and is not working either.

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:23 PM by J.C.

I tested the following fix in .Net framework 1.1 and the KeepAlive property is set to false by default, I think this has to do with web service references not being asynchronous by default in .Net Framework 1.1, this has changed for the .NetFramework 2.0 and KeepAlive is by default set to true, setting it to false like the sample above, should be ok and would make it behave like .Net 1.1

Friday, October 20, 2006 5:35 PM by Joy Nicholson

Thank  you for this posting.  It was very helpful

Saturday, December 23, 2006 7:38 PM by JimboM

I use the Partial Class mechanism of VB to keep the changes to my web reference in separate file (so if I rebuild the web reference, the changes don't get wiped out).

The web reference name is NwsNoaa in this example.

'-------------------------------------

Imports System.Net

Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols

Namespace NwsNoaa

<System.ComponentModel.ToolboxItem(False)> _

Partial Public Class ndfdXML

Inherits SoapHttpClientProtocol

Protected Overrides Function GetWebRequest(ByVal uri As System.Uri) As System.Net.WebRequest

Dim w As HttpWebRequest = DirectCast(MyBase.GetWebRequest(uri), HttpWebRequest)

w.ProtocolVersion = HttpVersion.Version10

w.KeepAlive = False

Return w

End Function

End Class

End Namespace

Sunday, January 7, 2007 5:21 AM by lokesh

i tried everthing u guys have posted above but nothing works for me.

i m working on .net 1.1 SP1. please help

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:13 AM by roby77

The same for me. I tried all, but nothing works.

Friday, February 2, 2007 2:15 PM by Craig Scheets

THE REAL ASP.NET 2.0 SOLUTION:

I fought this for a while and finally got the right code to fix this problem in ASP.Net 2.0.  As many of you know, ASP.Net 2.0 generates the proxy classes dynamically so you can't just simply edit them.  The key is in a new feature, 'partial classes'.  Below is everything you need to know to fix this in ASP.Net 2.0.

First, my web reference declaration is:

weather.ndfdXML

The standard instantiation would then look like:

weather.ndfdXML2 wxService = new weather.ndfdXML2();

With this setup, I ran into the exact same problem everyone else has written about here and rarely solved.

First, add a new class and make it a partial class (C# code posted):

using System;

using System.Net;

using System.Web.Services.Protocols;

namespace weather

{

public partial class ndfdXML2 : weather.ndfdXML

{

protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)

{

//throw new Exception("Custom WebRequest override code hit!!");

System.Net.HttpWebRequest webRequest = (System.Net.HttpWebRequest)base.GetWebRequest(uri);

webRequest.KeepAlive = false;

webRequest.ProtocolVersion = HttpVersion.Version10;

return webRequest;

}

}

}

You can optionally uncomment that new exception to verify that the code is indeed executing.

Second, change you instantiation inside your code to the following:

weather.ndfdXML2 wxService = new weather.ndfdXML2();

Now everything works great!!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:22 PM by Jeffery PinterParsons

Excellent!!  Works just as Craig describes.  Many Thanks.

I ran into this problem with a C# client and an Axis2c server.

Thanks again.

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:59 PM by Peter M

This post finally solved my issue.  You're great-  thanks!

These are now my two solutins to most of my request nightmares:

WebRequestObject.ServicePoint.Expect100Continue = False

WebRequestObject.KeepAlive = False

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:35 AM by Andy

Thanks very much - this was a real lifesaver!

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:45 PM by Sean

Hello,

I just wanted to add to this that I'm using the 2.0 Framework and have upgraded to WSE 3 and am not experiencing the "Invalid Cast" exception.  The underlying type has been changed to an HttpWebRequest so it works fine.

-Sean

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:27 AM by Sanjivani

Hey Thanks a lot Jan.. Your solution has solved my problem :-)

~Sanjivani

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:45 AM by senthil kumar

Hi i have a mobile aspx page .. where i will req an url using httpwebrequest and will get the response back and update my db .... In this scenario ... while hittting the page again and again . m getting "underlying connection closed error"... Its coming only when i hit that page simultaneously..

Do any1 knw any soln apart from setting keepalive = false ....

its not working in mobile ...

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:43 AM by Anup Daware

All above didnt worked for me!!

Problem was somewhere else, I installed Safari Browser and Uninstalled it. what this browser did while uninstalling is it cleared all the proxy settings of IE.

(i.e. Properties >> Connection Settings >> LAN >> Advanced >> Bypass proxy)

I restored these settings (copiedfrom other machines)

And Its done

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:37 AM by Girish

i am getting the same problem.

My webservices are written in ruby, i added the webreference and accessing it from another pc. first it works fine but the next time when i call the method its giving error:

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send." (Webservices). how to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:47 PM by Dido

webRequest.ServicePoint.ProtocolVersion = System.Net.HttpVersion.Version10;

should be

webRequest.ProtocolVersion = System.Net.HttpVersion.Version10;

Friday, September 7, 2007 12:44 PM by Matt

I'm unclear why people have been able to solve the problem setting the protocol version to 1.0, how exactly does this fix this problem as opposed to using the 1.1 (default?) protocol?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:37 PM by Debarupa

Thanks Craig!!!

You've made my life simple again :)

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:01 AM by betawiz

I have a different kind of problem. May be not exactly related to this post. But thought you may be able to provide some help.

We have a Web application, web services and a windows desktop application. All are .Net based applications.

Web app abd window desktop app are consuming Web Services.

Now we are planning to enable SSL on web service. What kind of issue we should expect from this transition.?

Do we need to make any code changes in Web app, windows app and web services because we are moving from HTTP to HTTPS?

Thanks

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:56 AM by Gumi

Thanks a lot for the helpful posts. My problem has been solved. Mission complete :)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:25 PM by Marty

Thank you for the fix. You are a God!