[OT] Going independent
Tomorrow's my last day in a big corporate IT shop. I'm going independent to join forces with Phil Haack (Haacked) and Micah Dylan of Veloc-IT.
Apparently my official title will be Rockstar Developer. So that's good.
There are a lot of really positive things about the new position:
- Working from home (they're in LA, I'm in San Diego)
- Eliminating my commute (8+ hours a week - not abnormal, but a total waste of time)
- Being part of a small, tight, fast moving team
- Learning some new technologies
- Working with some of the sharpest, best informed developers (portable CTO's) I've met
In spite of all that, it wasn't an easy decision. I'm leaving behind some really close friends, a little job security, and the comfort of understanding most of the systems and procedures that drive a major financial organization. I've been here three years. But it's time to move on, and I'm ready.
I'm really excited about what's ahead.