MEME: Top 10 Recent Blogs
Back in September, Phil posted on a MEME that didn't get the attention it deserved - what are your Top 10 Recent Blogs ?
...The criteria is purposely vague and very simple. I want you to list ten blogs you've really enjoyed reading recently. Especially the underrated, undiscovered, recent finds. They don't have to be your favorite blogs of all time, just ones that have caught your notice recently.
Here are the official rules...
- The Blog must have an rss (or ATOM) feed.
[Source: you've been haacked - MEME: Top 10 Recent Blogs ]
Well, it's taken me a while respond to this since I reed 1750 feeds1 and it's hard to pick favorites. With a huge blogroll, it's really important to keep on top of things or I very quickly end up with 7500 unread posts to slog through, but Phil's post prompted me to pick a top 10 list of feeds I'll read daily no matter how busy I've become.
I tend to favor metabloggers who share my feed addiction for my "daily" reading category, and read the others when I can find the time (usually on the third shift). Usually if someone says something important, one of these guys will pick it up. Also, since they're so busy reading about everything that's going on in the .NET development world (and presumably writing some code now and then), they're usually to the point and not likely to ramble about non-news, like how rude people on cell phones can be. Many of these blogs are pretty well known in the .NET development community, but if you're only going to read 10 blogs, these are the ones I recommend (in alphabetical order):
- Christopher Steen - Link blogger extrordinaire.
- Coding Horror (Jeff Atwood) - Excellent writer with a lot to say about how software development ought to be done, fun stuff about technology and games, must have tools and utilities, and regular doses of slick code.
- Computer Zen (Scott Hanselman) - Yep. If you don't know who this guy is, you've probably stumbled onto my blog by accident (or you're related to me). Famous for many things, including his Ultimate Developer and Power Users Tool List.
- Greg's Cool Thing of the Day - Consistently one of the first to write about new software releases, cool software finds, industry events, etc.
- Jason Haley - Power link blogger with regular posts into .NET decompiler technologies. Join the "I Love Jason Haley In A Totally Manly Non-Threatening Way Club" today!2
- Larkware (Mike Gunderloy) - Mike's Daily Grind is the blog I read if I can only read one. He's omnicient.
- Ode To Code (K. ScottAllen) - Great stuff on ASP.NET and .NET in general. Doesn't post quite as often as the rest of this group, but when he does I want to read it right away. How can you not read a blog that has C# code to display joke messages on HP LaserJet printers?
- Sam Gentile (feed) - His "New and Notable" linkblog posts are solid, he's got a lot to say about Test Driven Development, and he's a glutton for punishment with all the latest Windows Vista betas. [links updated]
- TheServerSide.NET - "Your Enterprise .NET Community"
- you've been HAACKED (Phil Haack) - Phil and I met through our blogs, and now I work with him at Veloc|IT. It's good to read your CTO's blog, even if he weren't as frighteningly smart as Phil. Good stuff on ASP.NET, code from his work on SubText and RSSBandit, and practical info on using patterns and framework design in real life applications.
What are your Top 10 Recent Blogs?
UPDATE: Scoblized on 4/3/06. Yippee! By the way, I'd of course recommend my blog as well...
1 That's partly due to the fact that I subscribe to each of the weblogs.asp.net feeds individually. The main feed only gives you the latest 25 posts, and since I use a desktop aggregator (RSSBandit) that's not running 24/7 I'd miss a lot of posts by only subscribing to the main feed.
2 T-Shirts on back order