Yes, I'm aware the conference ended 6 days ago. I returned to a pretty full workload, so it's taken me a few days to get my notes typed up. I'm finally ready to say goodbye to Mix06; thanks for bearing with me.
First, to get an idea of why I think Mix06 was such a big success, check out this summary from a Mac / PHP designer who was pretty impressed. This wasn't your standard conference, it really was a conversation. I can't think of anything they could have done to make it a more productive 72 hours. Really well done.
Got to meet:
- Robert Scoble - Talked to him at the MySpace party Tuesday and hanging out with some Channel9 guys Wednesday. It seems like he's always got a few people in line to talk to him, but he really gives you his full attention when he's talking to you - that's cool.
- Tantek Celnik - Talked to him after the Microformats talk. He needs more stickers on his laptop.
- David Shea (CSSZenGarden founder) - Sat by him at the "Future of IE7" talk.
- Wally McClure - Had lunch with Wally the first day. Talked about AJAX, podcasting, web accessibility, etc.
- Andrew Stopford - Runs the MbUnit project
- Scott Stansfield - I think he was cussing me out, but the music was so loud I honestly have no idea
- Dean Hachamovitch - IE General Manager and nice, friendly person to boot
- Chris Wilson - Group Program Manager for IE. Got to talk to him for a while about the IE and Firefox extension models, XPI security, and other fun browser stuff.
- Sean Lyndersay and Walter VonKoch - Phil and I talked to them about the IE RSS Platform, the joys of supporting some very poorly defined specs, and future plans for the RSS Platform
Chris Adams - Chris and Port 80 software make IIS dance on its head while gargling. In a good way.
- Doug Seven - Runs the MSDN blogs
Hung out with:
- Jeff Atwood - I was sure that we'd come to blows over the WinMerge vs. BeyondCompare issue, but apparently Jeff is biding his time, hiding his strength, and becoming more dangerous with each passing day.
- The Indigo late night crew - Steve Maine, Clemens Vasters, Ami Vora. Had fun playing "spot the working girls" at the casino bar at 3 AM. Sorry I didn't make it through to breakfast.
- Phil Haack - Looking for your laptop? I've still got it! And I covered it with Jeff Atwood's Wumpus stickers!
- Adam Kinney / Erik Porter - Nice to see y'all again, even though you didn't bring me a Channel 9 action figure. Thanks for all the Windows Live Gadget info.