[Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes - Jon Galloway

[Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

I just released a new utility: RegmonToRegfile.

It's easier to explain what you can do with RegmonToRegfile than to explain what it is. RegmonToRegfile works with Regmon (a free tool from SysInternals) to record and playback the registry changes that another program or installation makes. For example, I used it to create the registry files for the IE7 Standalone launcher I've been distributing. I recorded the registry entries when I installed, ran, and uninstalled IE7 and saved the logs, then ran RegmonToRegfile to convert then to regfiles.

Regmon is an excellent tool that monitors what other programs do with the Windows registry. It saves everything that happens to a log file, but doesn't include the option to export to a registry (.reg) file. RegmonToRegfile reads Regmon logs and translates them into .reg files.

STANDARD REGISTRY WARNING: Registry flies can do great damage to your computer. You should always review registry files before you merge them, but that is even more important in this case since the registry files are being generated by a new and unsupported application. I also recommend testing your registry changes on a Virtual PC or VMWare Windows image. This application and the registry files you produce with it are unsupported; use at your own risk.

USAGE: regmontoregfile -input [-output] [-path] [-process] [-keys] [-maxRecords] [-lookup]
Input: Filename of the RegMon log.
Output: Filename of the output registry file. Default: input filename with extension changed to .reg.
Path: Path to input and output file.
Process: Comma delimited list of processes to include. Default:all processes.
Keys: Regular expression of key(s) to include. Default:all keys.
MaxRecords: Maximum number of records (log entries) to process. Default:all records.
Lookup: If true, looks up truncated binary values in the registry. Default:false (do not lookup values, ommit them).

All parameters can be set via config files settings as well. If you specify the path parameter, input and output should not be qualified with a full path.

There are a few limitations:

1. Regmon only logs the first few bytes of binary values (REG_Binary) written to the registry, so RegmonToRegfile just skips writing these values. In most cases, that's not an issue since I haven't seen any binary values written by a program that would make sense to script anyways - they're usually things like crypto keys or keyboard scan codes. Version 1.0.2 adds the option of looking up truncated binary values in the local registry.
  2. RegmonToRegfile has limited support for registry value types. It handles STRING and DWORD values and can try to lookup BINARY values in your local registry. It does not handle other types, such as EXPAND_SZ, and MULTI_SZ types. This hasn't been a problem in practical use, since most registry entries are either STRING or DWORD type.

Source is included under BSD license.

Update: I forgot to mention that I used the FileHelpers library to do the grunt work of parsing the log files, which freed me up to concentrate on mapping the fields to regfile syntax. FileHelpers is very easy to use, and works really well. If you're parsing any kind of delimited text file without using FileHelpers, you're working too hard. Thanks for pointing that out, Greg!

Published Monday, October 9, 2006 10:30 AM by Jon Galloway
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

"Tivo for your Registry" LOL... Damn, I wish I thought of that description, cause it SO fits.  ;)

Anyway, very cool tool Jon...

Monday, October 9, 2006 3:20 PM by Greg

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

brilliant stuff. very groovy.

and i argee with everything Kurbli said too.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:26 AM by lb

The comments

and the download

on tools.veloc-it.com

is for "OpenPlsInWmp2Setup.exe" ?????

Where can i download "RegmonToRegfile" please?

Oh, i try with FireFox, now i try with iE.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:18 AM by Stefan

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

@Stefan - I fixed the link. Thanks for letting me know!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:57 AM by Jon Galloway

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

Will this work with procmon log files? (.pml files).  I've dumped regmon and filemon and just use procmon now.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:56 AM by Richard

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

Could you help me plz? I have an error (0x0000135)

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:05 PM by tom

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

Can this tool be used to record files and logs of employees in the company?  Is this capable of monitoring logs of working agents in a certain company so as to determine their online activities during working hours?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:15 AM by oil painting portraits

Hi, I think the link is broken again :(

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:43 PM by Nigel!

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

Indeed, link seems to be broken, or at least in my PC what I get is a page with the error: "Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:29 PM by Nestor

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

I also would love to see this utility, but the whole site it's hosted on seems to be down.

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:42 PM by Gomer

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

The link to download RegmontoRegfile is giving an error of Bad Request (invalid hostname). The whole site appears to be down. Is there another download site?

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:14 PM by Mike

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

I am unable to download the utility. I am prompted for a username and password. Does anyone know how I can register for the site?

TIA

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:13 AM by spadge007

# re: [Tool] RegmonToRegfile - Record and playback registry changes

I loved this tool in the past unfortunately RegMon won't run in Windows 7 (vista as well I think). It's been replaced by procmon. Any chance of an updated version or alternative?

I took a look at procmon logs thinking I could make the source modifications easily enough and they don't seem to output the value the registry key is actually changed to unfortunately so probably can' be done.

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:47 AM by Pete

I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours today, but

I never found any interesting article like yours.

It's lovely value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:41 AM by Kearns