Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1 - Jon Galloway

Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

1. Save Time and Space for VS 2005 SP1 by Disabling the Patch Cache (via Heath Stewart

The SP1 requires a lot of disk I/O. You can eliminate 1.3 GB of disk I/O, and cut the installation time significantly, by temprorarily disabling the Patch Cache. You can read more about it on Heath's post, but here's the basic idea:

• Download the patch here.
  • Save the following to a batch file (I called mine InstallVS2005SP1.bat) in the same directory you saved the SP1 install file:
reg export HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer installer.reg reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer /v MaxPatchCacheSize /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f net stop msiserver start /wait VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe reg delete HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer /v MaxPatchCacheSize /f reg import installer.reg net stop msiserver del /q installer.reg 2>nul
  • Run the batch file

I installed SP1 twice (see tip 3), and it ran a lot faster with the Patch Cache disabled.

2. If you don't use C++, uninstall it

I always tend to install VC++ when I install Visual Studio, just in case. Now that VC++ Express is available (and free), I think I'll wait until I actually need to write C++ (hopefully never) to install it.

3. You may have to reinstall it if you upgrade to Vista

I installed SP1 on my XP machine, then upgraded to Vista, and was prompted to reinstall SP1. I'm not sure what was going on, and I'm not willing to roll back to XP, uninstall SP1, upgrade to Vista, and install SP1 again just to make this blog post more complete (sorry!), but if you're planning to upgrade to Vista you may want to do it before installing SP1. On the other hand, with the Patch Cache disabled, the second install was really quick!
Published Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:06 AM by Jon Galloway
Filed under: ,

Comments

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

Does it apply also in SP1 for express editions?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:00 AM by Glenn Santos

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

Oh man - I wish I had read this four hours ago as I was getting ready to install SP1!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:12 PM by Wayne Boyles

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

That patch is really nice, thanks for the tipps!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:29 AM by Andreas Kraus

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

I can only assume you meant that second

net stop msiserver

to be

net start msiserver

Right?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:47 AM by R D

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

You will also need to uninstall the Web Application Project add-in, if you have installed it, since SP1 contains the WAP add-in.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:28 AM by dave thieben

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

@RD - No, it should be a stop. MSIEXEC starts MSISERVER automatically. See Heath's comment on the original post: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/11/28/save-time-and-space-for-vs-2005-sp1-by-disabling-the-patch-cache.aspx#1169056

@Glenn - I believe it does, but am not certain. I'd leave a comment on Heath's post.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:43 PM by Jon Galloway

nice tip!!

i knew i'd save time by waiting a few days before installing this one.

(the second mouse gets the cheese)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:18 PM by lb

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

How's it install on Vista?

Thursday, December 21, 2006 11:05 AM by a

it still told me that not enough space

Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:13 PM by brucenan

it still told me that not enough space

Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:13 PM by brucenan

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

It should also be noted that you will need at least 1-2 GB of unused disk space.  The package extracts itself and then the configuration takes even more space.  If it runs out at any point in time, the install fails.  The install doesn't do any upfront checking so you could easily waste a lot of time.

Monday, January 8, 2007 10:58 AM by sd

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

I still get the Installer patch error stating that I have an older version or it's looking for software that isn't there.  FYI - I do NOT have the beta version or WAP installed - never did - yet still this error.  HELP ????

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:22 AM by Carrie

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

I am in a tricky situation. My C: has 2 GB and D: has 75 GB free space. Whenever I try to install SP1, I notice that space is being consumed on C: by default. Is there a way to re-direct the activity to D: ?

Any answers will be highly appreciated.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:26 PM by KBRC

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

Well i just started the installation, lets see. last time it took me about 4 hours to complete on my other machine without any patching. Anyways, the question is, how do you test such installation packages? Does microsoft even test them at all? I'm more than sure there should be another way to easily update VS1.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:56 PM by zakimirza

# re: Things I wish I'd known before I installed VS 2005 Service Pack 1

The included patch is no longer available on MSDN

please give me another patch file location

Friday, June 12, 2009 11:02 AM by vbdeveloper