Guest on the first episode of Jesse Liberty’s new podcast: YetAnotherPodcast.us
I was privileged to be invited to join Jesse Liberty on the inaugural YetAnotherPodcast show, hosted by Jesse Liberty. Jesse brings a fascinating viewpoint to the software development discussion, because:
- He’s very experienced – he’s been programming for a long time, and has been writing books (like this bestselling C++ book, apparently used by the early Egyptians) for quite a while, but
- He’s managed to keep on the cutting edge throughout his career, through .NET, Silverlight, and now Windows Phone 7 development
- He’s a total crackup, sometimes intentionally
Jesse and I work on the same team at Microsoft, and I always enjoy talking to him. I was happy to hear he wanted to start a new podcast, and enjoyed helping him get set up. Here’s the pitch:
This is not your momma’s podcast.
Here are my guiding principles:
- Do not waste the listener’s time
- This is not radio
- Discuss, don’t interview
- Focus, focus, focus
These half dozen principles lead to the following decisions (every one of which may change over time!)
- Focus: Our central topic will be Windows Phone 7, with secondary topics including Silverlight, Programming and Best Practices
- Not Radio: No intro, no outro, no bumbers, no announcer
- Don’t Waste The Lister’s Time: The shows run as long as they take. No fixed format. Count on something between 20 and 40 minutes, except when they are longer or shorter.
- Discuss: Lots of guests, but no interviews, no canned questions, lots of real programmers discussing real issues
- Don’t Waste The Listener’s time: Useful information or shut up.
Jesse and I spent the first episode talking about ALT.NET and Open Source, and he’s posted a second episode with Erik Mork about Windows Phone 7. Now how about a John Papa episode to get the “bald guy league of justice” trifecta? Yet Another Podcast Show #1 – Alt dot net & Open Source [mp3]