August 2008 - Posts
It is nice when your contributions become noticed. I received an email from INETA informing me that I received the Community Champion award for the 3rd qtr. of 2008.
Thanks INETA for the recognition!
A snippet of the email...
The Community Champions Awards generated over 2 million points submitted by eligible participants. This is a tremendous achievement and we want to thank everyone for taking the time to submit all of their activities. We chose the top ten participants based on total points accumulated for their contributions within the developer community. We are excited to announce that the following community leaders are the first recipients of the annual
Community Champions Award:
- Sujata Devraj
- Judith B. Calla
- Adnan Masood
- Joseph Guadagno
- Philip Wolfe
- Jess Chadwick
- Christopher Brandsma
- Lou Vega
- Kristin Ferrier
- Brian Hendrson
Special thanks to everyone who took the time and energy to participate in this program. Keep contributing to your local developer community and submit your activities through the Champs program. This is your chance to show the world what community leadership is all about and to gain some of the recognition that you deserve!
Part II of the Southeast Valley .NET User Group ORM comparison happened yesterday. It started off nice and calm but ended with a bang or two. No there were no fight or arguments between the presenters or attendees but mother nature let loose on the Phoenix area last night. Especially during Scott Cate's presentation that happened to be going over on time. A huge thunder clap ended his presentation :) . Represented at this part was LLBGen Pro, NHibernate, ActiveRecord, QuickObjects and EasyDB.
Over the two months/meetings of presentations we saw how different technologies provide database access from .NET to different data stores. Thanks to the following for presenting.
|Presenter ||Technology |
|LINQ Overview ||Adam Wolf |
|LINQ to SQL ||Adam Wolf |
|LINQ to Entities ||Rob Richardson |
|QuickObjects ||Ish Singh |
|Subsonic ||Saul Mora |
|netTiers ||Brad Mead |
|NHibernate ||Aaron Cure |
|ActiveRecord ||Justin James |
|LLBGen Pro ||Scott Cate |
|Easy DB ||Scott Cate |
| || |
It was a great event but if we had to do it over again we would make it longer. In fact there have been talk about making this a web cast series. If you are interested in seeing this as a web cast series, post a comment here, contact me, or send an email to your local Microsoft developer evangelist.
Since then I have had two months of unreliable WiFi calling connectivity. My first connection attempts were with my AirLink AR430W SuperG Wireless router that I purchased for $15.00 dollars at a local Frys Electronic store. With this router I would get sporadic WiFi/UMA connectivity on all four phones. Some of them would connect, some of them would not. I would get one of a few T-Mobile errors; W002 and W010. After googling for days and weeks, there was not a lot of information about these errors on the Internet. Most of the errors pointed to Blackberry connectivity issues and that errors W002 and W010 means that the device could not get an IP address which was quite strange because both laptops, my Wii and Xbox 360 all connected fine. So I began my troubleshooting...
First I tried to connect to a friends un-secure router, every connection attempt was successful and I was making calls but this was not legal. So I tried to un-secure my wireless network, this worked for some of the phones some of the time. I tried changing the network beacon timeout, this worked for some of the phones some of the times. The phones would sometimes connect after rebooting the router but this was unacceptable. After about a month I decided it was my cheap $15 dollar router, so I went out and purchased a TrendNET TEW-631BRP 300Mbps Wireless N Broadband route. I continued to have the the same issues as above so I went back to Google and found a few sites that suggested to turn off MAC filtering, this was not applicable to me, or to try to assign static IP addresses to the phone so I tried this but no dice. After about six weeks of troubleshooting and phone tag with the T-Mobile WiFi calling help desk we came up with a solution.
It turned out that the sporadic access was because I had the router set to automatically determine a channel. The T-Mobile WiFi/UMA service will only work with channels 1,6, or 11, which I why it connected to my neighbors router (channel 6).
Here are all of the settings that you can apply to router to make it function similarly to the T-Mobile branded LinkSys router.
|Setting ||Value |
|Beacon Period ||100 |
|RTS Threshold ||2347 |
|Fragmentation Threshold ||2346 |
|DTIM Interval ||1 |
|Wireless Channel (try in this order) ||11, 6, 1 |
|For a secure network ||WPA 2 is preferred over WEP |
I hope this helps solve some of your problems and that T-Mobile documents this somewhere.
I've been looking to PIMP my IDE by changing some of the colors to it. I came across this post on DEvHammer which pointed http://frickinsweet.com/tools/Theme.mvc.aspx#. This web application allows you to create a Visual Studio theme based on three colors.
It is Frickin Sweet, as implied by the domain name.
As some of you know, I have the Southeast Valley .NET User Group web site running on Telerik's Sitefinity product. The product itself is awesome but needs a few features here an there... One of which is a mechanism to get data into Sitefinity quickly. Luckily, Sitefinity provides a pretty extensive API for you to develop against. So with some free time, the little I have, I put together a Data Importer tool for Sitefinity. This tool will allow you to import data from a Comma Separated file into any Sitefinity generic provider.
The project is open source and available at http://www.codeplex.com/SEVDNUGDataImporter please report any problems or feature request there.