Julia Lerman Blog

INETA Poster Child blabbing about community and code

Sponsors

.About Me

.Chick Blogs (yes I am highlighting them!)

.Coming Soon

.NET User Groups

A small slice of blogs I read

Articles & Talks

Conferences

Developer Book Reviews

Elsewhere...

Showing Off

some random U.G. Leader Blogs

Tablet

Identity Crisis- What IS my name?

I have been asked a gazillion times: “is it Julie or Julia?” And I was recently told [by the very confused, considering how darned smart he is, Jon Box] that I should blog this. So here is the answer.

I am “Julia on paper” - birth certificate, business cards, bank accounts, credit cards and every where else that I try to give the impression of being a grown up. It's my real official name.

But I have been called “Julie” my entire life. So that is what I refer to myself and what I am used to being called.

If you saw me on the street, or perhaps across a crowded room at PDC and called “Hey, Julia!”, chances are that I won't even turn my head, as it won't even register that someone is calling me.

Comments

Raymond Chen said:

I was in a similar boat, but alas I didn't meet with as much success as you did. I was "Raymond" on paper, but "Ray" in person. People couldn't handle that (they would do things like address letters to "Ray" instead of "Raymond") so I just switched to "Raymond everywhere". Now the only people who call me "Ray" are family.
# October 21, 2003 1:06 PM

G. Andrew Duthie said:

How about if we just call out "Hey! Julie...uh!" just to cover all bases? ;-)

I was wondering when you'd get around to explaining this.
# October 21, 2003 1:42 PM

Jennifer Nachbur said:

I am Jennifer on paper, but go by three names -- Jen, Jenny and Jennifer. My family and long-time friends call me Jenny, professional colleagues call me Jennifer and everyone calls me Jen :-)!

- J

# June 22, 2007 11:27 AM

Julie said:

Rick - That's my husband's standby line, too (just don't call me late for dinner.). What an old fashioned guy! :-)

# September 5, 2007 8:55 PM

Cathy W said:

Our daughter was named "Julie" temporarily overnight when she was born as we played with middle names. Nothing worked...so it became Julia, because of course the Beatles had Julia and Michelle as songs, and they so sounded wonderful together. So folks who saw the sign out in front of our house the night she was born still call her Julie, while the others call her Julia:) You are not alone:)

# September 8, 2007 9:07 PM

Daniel Egan or Danny to my family said:

This is funny. Mark Rosenberg and I were just having this conversation about you.... I call you Julia and he calls you Julie and we were wondering what was correct....  I guess now we know...

Daniel - In California

Dan or Danny - In Chicago.

My family and friends from back home refuse to call me Daniel.  ;)

# December 4, 2007 3:19 PM

Patrick Martell said:

When I saw this I just had to read it as well. I also wondered which name was right for you. I had been calling you Julia and Greg and David etc. called you Julie. Then your e-mail was always signed Julie. So now I understand, however what still remains is do I go by Pat or Patrick.........

# January 7, 2008 8:42 PM

Michael S. Kaplan said:

I introduce myself as Michael but I let people call me Michael, Mike, or michka -- and then if it is anything other than #1 or in a few select cases #3 I silently judge them for their choice. :-)

# April 26, 2008 1:20 AM

Eduardo Alarcon said:

The National Heritage Foundation/Congressional District Programs and their salesmen are under investigation by Federal and State agencies.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the owner of the NHF, JOHN HOUK, at (561) 301-3891 or dock@nhf.org.

Posted by:

Eduardo Alarcon

19319 Inverness Dr.

Spicewood, TX 78669

(512) 217-6655

eduardo.alarcon@sbcglobal.net

# May 6, 2008 5:30 PM

FlowerBeauty said:

Здравствуйте. Прошу у Вас совета. У меня сложилась очень неприятная ситуация. Дело в том, что мой блог с недавнего времени перестал показываться в результатах поиска Yandex'a. Сам блог проиндексирован, то есть если посмотреть наличие конкретной страницы в результатах поиска, то она там есть. А вот по поисковым запросам, да и по точным текстовым вхождениям сайт не находится. При чём его нет не только в 100, но даже в тысяче показов. Ума не приложу, что произошло. Сайт был доступен, перебоев на хостинге не было. А обнаружил это - в статистике ЛивИнтернет, который вдруг стал показывать гораздо меньшее количество посещений.

Кстати, юзеры с Гугла и Рамблера идут в прежних объёмах.

# November 29, 2009 5:55 PM

Rengenx said:

Красиво, но уже не актуально. В любом случае спасибо.

# February 14, 2010 10:31 PM

Drormajok said:

а тут есть что почитать :) так держать...не забрасывайте блог.

# March 15, 2010 11:30 PM

Drormajok said:

А мне понравилось, побольше бы таких постов в рунете..Спасибо автору.

# March 25, 2010 7:10 PM

Fleerlyskence said:

Блин, столько написал, а не отправилось...видимо глюк вордпресса. Вообщем забукмартил ресурс :)

# March 27, 2010 5:09 AM

Fleerlyskence said:

Хороший обзор. Сразу видно что старались, за что и спасибо. Интересно было почитать

# March 28, 2010 7:01 PM

Fleerlyskence said:

Приятный дизаин у вас. Не подскажете, где можно шаблоны такие найти? Желательно бесплатно :)

# March 30, 2010 1:08 AM

ZoosqueSott said:

Скоро ресурсы с посещалкой от тысчи уников в день должны будут обзавестись лицензией по типу сми. Ещё пара таких указов и в рунете останутся одни гс :(

# May 7, 2010 7:21 AM

sildenafil said:

You made some clear points there.

# March 29, 2011 3:33 AM

Georgeanna Schaetzle said:

I really appreciate several articles here, thanks a lot ~

# July 3, 2011 9:53 PM

Carmine Yunk said:

Your website is very excellent ... keep up the good effort!

# July 6, 2011 10:27 AM

Marilyn Oliver said:

Terrific blog! I genuinely really like how it really is simple on my eyes together with the info are well written. I'm wondering how I may be notified whenever a new post has been produced. I've subscribed to your rss feed which have to do the trick! Have a nice day!

# July 9, 2011 10:47 PM