December 2003 - Posts
Come and get it...
Here's a free program with source code (very simple) to illustrate how to use my translation webservice to build a simple translation application. It's also a handy little app to have around in case you want to translate a bit of text from a website. Just paste your text into the from box, choose to/from language pair, and hit the translate button.
Download Now (60KB, ZIP)
Now I can be traded as a company of sorts...rather strange...
My latest article
was published on the 26th. Learn how to use providers to get access to your resources at the command line as virtual drives. It shows how to create a very simple provider in C#.
Don't you hate working on a complex problem only to stumble on something so simplistic you just feel like a dolt? Today (more like yesterday, given the early hour EST), I realized the solution to a problem I was having with a winform combobox derived class. The problem? Whenever I tried to compile in release mode, the visual representation of the control would disappear from the winform designer, and the app would not compile. As is usually the case with strange problems, the solution came while I was away from my keyboard... on the way to work.
It turns out I was referencing the exe file to get the combobox derived control in the toolbox, just to save time until I refactored it into a separate controls project. This is obviously a poor programming choice. Never put off until later what you can do today; doubly so for programming. So what was happening was as it compiled, it overwrote the exe file (or perhaps just deleted the exe file) that was referenced, the designer saw it, and removed the control from the page for me (how considerate!), which took away the ability to compile.
This is one type of post I always enjoy reading from other people. Their experiences serve to enlighten people in the art of programming, without focusing just on the “coding” aspect. For example, Julia Lerman talks about some of her experiences cold-programming WSE here.
I have my first published article (“Coming soon to Windows: The Microsoft Shell (MSH)“) at:
(or on the front page of Developer.com and Codeguru.com for now)
I added the following to my translation web service. Please post feedback if you like it or are having problems with it. The old method is now deprecated, and the new method that should be used is TranslateLanguage(LanguagePair,InputText);
The address of the ASMX file to use for the web services is: http://www.restlessdelusions.com/projects/services/translate/translate.asmx
I got the idea of using the google translate page as a web service, and using that service in Speech2Blog. Think about being able to speak and make posts in other languages, or to provide auto-translated RSS feeds (granted this will come with a performance costs, but at a huge gain for accessibility). Here's the first step in the process -- a translation service that interacts with Google's translator.
The address is:
Here's a sample call:
com.restlessdelusions.www.Translate t =
Note it currently only supports english->spanish, but this will change in the very near future, depracating the existing method (which will be left functional).
Another current limitation that will be fixed with the next revision is text size limits (currently limited to the size Google's textbox allows).
I see the MS Speech team has released Beta 4 of the Speech SDK. Grab it now at a mere 320mb for the full package.
As a side note, the Carnegie Hall performance went well, and I enjoyed the conductor's interpretation of the works. Dr. Menk really added to the style of Handel's Coronation Anthem #1 with only slight changes in dynamics of some of the phrases.