Force IE7 Compatibility Mode in IE8 with IIS settings

There a ton of examples on the web of how you can force IE8 into IE7 compatibility mode using a meta tag in the header.

This tag needs to be first in the <head> (before any css):

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

That really stinks if you need to add that to a lot of pages or sites.  It’s much easier just to add the header as real HTTP Header via IIS.  This can be done via IIS 6 or 7.

IIS 6

Go to the website, bring up the properties for it, and click on the HTTP Headers tab.

image

HTTP Headers tab of an IIS 6 Website

Then, add a new header as below:

imageAdd custom HTTP Header

IIS 7

IIS 7 is much the same.  Just go to the site and click on “HTTP Response Headers”.

imageIIS 7 Website Properties – IIS Section

Then, just add the header:

image Add custom HTTP Header

Incidentally, this just sets a value in the web.config, as below:

image

More later - jv

Published Monday, March 23, 2009 1:56 PM by joelvarty

Comments

# re: Force IE7 Compatibility Mode in IE8 with IIS settings

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:49 PM by joelvarty

Thanks for the tip, Adrian.  I will definately make that change.  I haven't noticed any issues, tho, so maybe the sites I have been working with are quirks-friendly....

Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:05 PM by NYC Go

I did not work for us. We spied on MSN.com source and see it is working great for them so we are assuming its due to the fact that they use "Strict" and we are using "Traditional" tags.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:52 AM by Eoin

I could not get this to work.  My pages still required me to click on compatibility mode when I used it.  I am using a Joomla based site, any help anyone?

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:37 AM by joelvarty

@Eoin: Can you provide a URL?

Friday, May 8, 2009 5:57 PM by @Eoin

The meta tag has to be the first thing under the <head> tag in your Joomla! template for it to work. It cannot come after the title or other meta tags. I had it beneath some other meta tags and it was a no go. Moved it ahead of the others and it worked.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:43 PM by Pimentel

I'm working with Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 for my clients, and seams that this meta tag is perfect for "no budget" clients. It's a risky solution cause you don't know what microsoft wild do about this issue, but works for now.

Just put the tag under the <header> and there you go.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:34 PM by abssd

great work. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:21 AM by Ilia101

This definitely works via IIS 6. Web.config and other solutions did not work.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:49 AM by nucleardragon

This works in IIS 5.1 as well, but only the IE=7 value. The IE=EmulateIE7 value does not.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:30 PM by Josh

What happens if the user has IE6 and this is set?

Friday, January 29, 2010 4:00 PM by Jason

IE6 ignores it.  IE6 is POR where I work, but some people are using IE8.  My site is very broken in IE8 so this works great using EmulateIE7.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:36 AM by Samarjeet Singh

I am facing same problem but when I add header in IIS it is working fine.

Thanks.......

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:22 AM by Rob Ralston

Found I had a compatibility problem on a DotNetNuke v4.9.5 portal. Adding the custom header at the website level appears to be working well. I used the IE=EmulateIE7 value. Just set it up, but so far looks good. Thanks for the tip.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:05 AM by steph

I can't get the compatability mode to force on this site.  You'll notice if you hover over the top menu items the red bar beneath them covers some options.  This does not occur in ie7 or when using compatibility mode.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:58 AM by stephanie

Nevermind. I got it. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:51 AM by Sathiesh

Hi its working well. thanks.

How can i setup this using code in asp.net c#

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:26 AM by Sathish Kumar.R

Hi, I used meta tag to force IE8 compatability..It works gr8.. When will the IE & Other browsers compatability will solve?

Friday, July 23, 2010 10:58 AM by Alison

How to keep the compatible IE7 mode setting after the browser closed?

Thanks.

Alison

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:53 AM by Michael J

When I used "IE=7", I got problem in displaying layers (div) IE8 installed in Windows 7 OS. But it is working in Windows XP - IE8. Finally I used "IE=EmulateIE7". Now it is working fine. Thanks.

Monday, September 6, 2010 5:38 AM by gforce

I wish there are no IE browsers. They always make us look bad.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:21 PM by Scott M

This code is not working in SAP BSP web pages. I have tried pretty much all the variations that have been posted so far... Any Ideas?

# re: Force IE7 Compatibility Mode in IE8 with IIS settings

Monday, October 11, 2010 10:51 AM by Brian C.

IE8 incorrectly renders a nasty black border around the main table on our Internet site unless compatibility mode is enabled, even though the border attribute is correct.  Early testing on our dev site using IE=EmulateIE7 shows that the compatibility forced setting is working, though it does nothing to remove the border in Firefox or Chrome.  Not sure what changed in IE8/FF/Chrome, but they need to fix it.  Thanks for the tip!

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:31 PM by prakash

i have added the meta tag to my page that I want to display with IE7 settings in IE8 but it does not work....any help???

I have added the following line after the head tag

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7"/>

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:30 PM by Srigurusankar

Great Help, Thanks,

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:49 AM by mcpyx@hotmail.com

Thanks Thanks

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:37 PM by sudhir

Div tags are not working in IE8 ,i have developed my application in IE6.Can any one help? more over i need to forcefully click on compatibility button ,its not coming automatically.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:40 AM by Steven

works great - thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:13 PM by Arkangel

Man! I've been looking for this fix for two years!!

THX!!!

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:51 PM by John Vorwerk

Many thanks for the instructions! I couldn't get the tags to work properly with masterpage, however, with this directive, my EmailUnlimited Online is finally working again on IE9!

It's a shame that you need these hacks...why can't IE9 be a bit more like...Firefox 4...which simply works like a charm?