Monoppix is a bootable Linux CD that runs .NET applications on the Mono framework. It makes it easy to see your .NET code running on Linux without installing a thing.
This is mostly a stack upgrade release. Here's what's included in Monoppix 1.0.6:
- Monodoc, mcs, Mono, libgdiplus, gtk-sharp 1.06
- Xsp 1.0.8
- Monodevelop 0.51
- Cairo 0.2
- (continued support of MySQL 4.1.7)
- Included .Net in Samples book (HTML format)
- Improved desktop links
- Monodevelop bug fixes
- Application execution directly from monodevelop is now fixed
- The project type images are now properly displayed
New Team Members
We've added some new team members - Perica Zivkovic and Mark Neustadt:
Perica brings us some Open Source development experience from his previous work with the iPodder project. He's made himself busy:
- Monoppix.com website redesign - really nice, clean design
- Advance work on migration from KDE to Gnome base
We asked Mark to join our team due to his great training contributions to the Monoppix community. He graciously accepted and moved all his content onto the Monoppix.com site.
- He's authored 7 beginner and 5 advanced Monoppix tutorials, ranging from an introduction to the environment all the way to desktop development (GtK#), MySQL, and XSP
- Tutorials include video, source code, and developer manuals
- We're seeing 20+ video downloads per day
- Downloading a Live CD preconfigured with Mono on Linux is a pretty big shortcut to getting a look at Mono development, but Mark's video tutorials make it a 5 minute exercise. You just gotta see these things - they're really well done!
- Monoppix was featured in the May Polish PC World Magazine cover DVD - 65K copies
- Approximately 1500 ftp and BT downloads since March (probably many more that we can't track)
- As always, please help seeding the torrent. We've pre-seeded pretty well this time, so downloads should be pretty quick
- If you can provide an appropriate torrent tracker which is dedicated to legal software releases, let us know (current tracker is running off our site)
- We'd like some input on roadmap. What would you like to see in future versions? We're hard at work on a 1.1.7 release, and it's looking like it's going to be really cool.
- Give Monoppix a spin!