Josh Robinson's WebLog

March 2006 - Posts

Virtual Server physical NIC error

I recently had to reload Windows XP on top of my existing XP install due to a corrupt hard disk.  Just when I thought that everything was fixed, I realized that both Virtual PC and Virtual Server had stopped connecting to my physical wireless network card.  Unless I wanted to run a 25 foot cable, I had to figure it out.  The error that I received from Virtual Server was not much help:

Unexpected error (0x80004005). The virtual network’s configuration information could not be retrieved. Microsoft Virtual Server could not complete the operation due to an unexpected error (0x80004005). 

The one thing that I gathered from this error was that somehow Virtual Server could not get the information for my physical wireless NIC.  When I booted any virtual machine, I wasn't getting any errors other than the fact that none of my virtual NICs could get an IP address.  After find this post on a blog, and this post on a newsgroup, it sounded like all I needed to do was uninstall-reboot-reinstall-reboot and everything would be fixed.  That worked fine for VPC, but not the case with Virtual Server 2005 R2.

I finally figured out after numerous uninstalls that the problem was that during my reload of Windows XP, I had removed and reinstalled the physical device for my NIC card.  Apparently that had given it a different ID under the hood, and the old WirelessNICCard.vnc file that Virtual Server 2005 was using to reference that physical wireless NIC was pointing in the wrong place now.

The final solution was to remove the old .vnc file from underneath the Virtual Networks config on Virtual Server and Create a new one - my updated wireless NIC was in there, I easily created the file and assigned it to virtual machines and everything worked fine.  I wonder if that would have solved the problem for the people in the posts above as well?  It sounds like when you change a physical NIC for another of the same name or model but re-install the drivers, the .vnc file doesn't always point to the new one since the ID changes under the hood?  At any rate, I hope that this post helps someone else with the same problem down the road.

New release of Microsoft Internet Explorer DevToolBar

This is a very handy add-in that helps IE become a better tool for developers.  This is the kind of thing that Firefox is known for, I'm glad to see that IE has an add-ins like this.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e59c3964-672d-4511-bb3e-2d5e1db91038&DisplayLang=en

Here are some of the features in this release:

The Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar provides several features for exploring and understanding Web pages. These features enable you to:

-- Explore and modify the document object model (DOM) of a Web page.
-- Locate and select specific elements on a Web page through a variety of techniques.
-- Selectively disable Internet Explorer settings.
-- View HTML object class names, ID's, and details such as link paths, tab index values, and access keys.
-- Outline tables, table cells, images, or selected tags.
-- Validate HTML, CSS, WAI, and RSS Web feed links.
-- Display image dimensions, file sizes, path information, and alternate (ALT) text.
-- Immediately resize the browser window to a new resolution.
-- Selectively clear the browser cache and saved cookies. Choose from all objects or those associated with a given domain.
-- Choose direct links to W3C specification references, the Internet Explorer team weblog (blog), and other resources.
-- Display a fully featured design ruler to help accurately align and measure objects on your pages.


The Developer Toolbar can be pinned to the Internet Explorer browser window or floated separately.

This Beta 2 version of the toolbar contains functionality and stability enhancements over previous versions and includes the following improvements.

-- You can now selectively enable and disable CSS parsing.
-- The Misc menu contains a color picker.
-- Several link reports are available.
-- When you select an element in the DOM element tree list, the selected element scrolls into view if it is not already visible in the browser window.

Download Northwind and Pubs from Microsoft for SQL 2005
In case you need to run a sample that relies on Northwind or Pubs yet you are using SQL 2005, you can download those classic sample databases directly from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=06616212-0356-46A0-8DA2-EEBC53A68034&displaylang=en

SQL Server Configuration Manager unable to connect error - fixed!

I had to re-install Windows on my laptop today due to some disk errors.  Once I was back up and running, I found that 99% of SQL 2005 worked fine, but SQL Server Configuration Manager had stopped working and gave the following error in a dialog box:

Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Invalid class [0x80041010]

Unfortunately that error does not tell you what to fix.  Fortunately Eric Charran does tell you what to fix.  You can find the answer on his blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/echarran/archive/2006/01/03/509061.aspx.  I had not dealt with .mof files before now, but his fix did the trick in about 2 seconds.  Thanks Eric!

More Posts