Josh Robinson's WebLog

SQL Server Configuration Manager unable to connect error - fixed!

I had to re-install Windows on my laptop today due to some disk errors.  Once I was back up and running, I found that 99% of SQL 2005 worked fine, but SQL Server Configuration Manager had stopped working and gave the following error in a dialog box:

Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Invalid class [0x80041010]

Unfortunately that error does not tell you what to fix.  Fortunately Eric Charran does tell you what to fix.  You can find the answer on his blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/echarran/archive/2006/01/03/509061.aspx.  I had not dealt with .mof files before now, but his fix did the trick in about 2 seconds.  Thanks Eric!

Comments

Iqbal said:

The solution provided is not working for me.....I am getting following output after running mof file.

Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.2180

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.

Parsing MOF file: C:\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof

MOF file has been successfully parsed

Storing data in the repository...

An error occurred while processing item 10 defined on lines 73 - 79 in file C:\s

qlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof:

Error Number: 0x80041003, Facility: WMI

Description: Access denied

Compiler returned error 0x80041001

# July 18, 2007 3:25 AM

urchin said:

I have the exact same problem as Iqbal.  Anybody have any idea?

# January 18, 2008 10:13 AM

BK said:

Incredibly helpful, did the trick for me!! Thanks for posting this.

# February 11, 2008 8:14 PM

dJeePe said:

Thanks you !!!

It works for me.

# September 30, 2008 10:13 AM

Gunjan said:

Iqbal - you need to make sure that you run the command prompt  as Administrator. I had same problem as you describe until I had the realization about Vista's UAC.

# April 27, 2009 6:58 PM

codeaholic said:

This sounds like exactly my problem and it was great to post this...unfortunately the link is no longer valid.

# November 11, 2009 6:08 PM

Naren said:

I have similar error in one of the server, i idd not find the file sqlmgmprovider.mof. when i tried with C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared>mofcomp "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

below error--

MOF file has been successfully parsed

Storing data in the repository...

An error occurred while processing item 10 defined on lines 73 - 79 in file C:\P

rogram Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof:

Error Number: 0x80041003, Facility: WMI

Description: Access denied

Compiler returned error 0x80041001

=====================================================

# December 21, 2009 7:36 AM

Gary L Fry said:

If you get an error returned when parsing the mof, make sure you turn off antivirus real time scanning prior to running the command.

# January 19, 2010 10:34 AM

Lionel said:

My thanks to Eric Charran. I did a backup and restore of my system to a larger hard drive.  Most programs worked especially SSMS.  When I attempted to use SQL Configuration Manager I received this message.  The fixed worked beautifully in seconds.

# August 22, 2010 11:56 PM

sateesh said:

Hi,

After running this i got the same error message

rogram Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof:

Error Number: 0x80041003, Facility: WMI

Description: Access denied

Compiler returned error 0x80041001

again i opend CMD prompt with administrator account

command successfull....

Thanks...

# August 27, 2010 8:17 AM

Miguel Jimenez said:

YOU NEED TO RUN CMD WITH ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT TO SKIP THE ISSUE WITH Access denied

# May 4, 2011 9:55 AM

Mitali said:

Same error faced....

# February 29, 2012 1:06 AM

Vincent Vancalbergh said:

I got the Access Denied error even when running cms "As Administrator".

I solved it by navigating the the folder and using a relative path (just the filename) instead of an absolute path.

# March 8, 2012 5:25 AM

nccsbim071 said:

Thanks Man,

I had the same problem. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. Your post saved my problem.

# June 10, 2012 1:15 PM

sebusi said:

I am now getting the error that say:

Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.2180