Contents tagged with Word

  • What do you call that thing that you do? Unlink a field

    I remember an instructor in a Technical Communications course talking about the problems of users who are trying to get help on something. One of their hurdles is finding the right word(s) to describe what they want to do. Until you know the answer to the question "What do you call that thing that you do?", you're at the mercy of the index.

    What prompts this recollection is that I was desperately trying to recall how to turn those automatic numbered steps in Microsoft Word to regular text. I couldn't seem to locate the topic in the Word 2007 documentation. (I'm not saying it's not there, just that I didn't know the right words.)

    I started typing a description of my problem/requirement into a Google search and eventually found a reference to Ctrl+Shift+F9 and converting at Table of Contents into regular text. Bingo! Ctrl+Shift+F9 was it!

    Given those keystrokes, I was able to work backwards from the Keyboard shortcuts reference in the online help. For future reference, here's the term I should have started with: Unlink a field.