Here’s another in my never-ending series of fixes for dumb mistakes. In this episode we lose time with an Entity Framework error. Here’s the error message:

System.Data.UpdateException was unhandled by user code
  Message="Unable to update the EntitySet 'Purchases' because it has a DefiningQuery and no <InsertFunction> element exists in the <ModificationFunctionMapping> element to support the current operation."
  Source="System.Data.Entity"

This one had me baffled because I was mainly just cloning ASP.NET code that worked fine against a very similar database table. The code looked like this, with the error on the last line in boldface:

Dim ent As New DBEntities1
  Dim pchase As New DBModel.Purchases
  pchase.OrderNumber = CleanString(txtPurchaseNumber.Text)

' ……….
  pchase.DateCreated = Now
  pchase.LastMod = Now
  ent.AddToPurchases(pchase)
  ent.SaveChanges()

I finally tracked it down to the SQL Server database table that I had recently added. I hadn’t marked the ID (identity) field as the primary key. (I thought I had but it wasn’t there when I went to look!) After that, just regenerate the .edmx file and the error is gone.

When I confide to my wife that I’ve made a stupid programming mistake, she insists that “surely others must do the same”. That might be the case, but most developers aren’t crazy enough to write a blog post to expose their folly in perpetuity to potential clients. <grin>

That said, I take comfort in the hope that you’ve discovered this little fix before losing time like I did.

Ken

Published Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:56 PM by Ken Cox [MVP]

Comments

# re: Fixing the System.Data.UpdateException – DefiningQuery and no <InsertFunction> Error

Monday, September 21, 2009 4:18 AM by yash

Well i hope you are not the only one. Thanks for the Post.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:00 PM by Jos Verbeek

Thanks for writing about your mistake, I had made the same one and thanks to you it didn't take me to long!!

Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:07 PM by Ken Cox [MVP]

@Jos: It's good to hear that my goal of reducing aggravation for others is being met.

It helps offset the feeling that I'm looking like the village idiot around here. <grin>

Ken

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:05 PM by Greg Goodall

Ken, I had the same error and your comment about the Identity column not also being set as primary key solved the problem.  thanks a ton.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:30 AM by Ken Cox [MVP]

@Greg: Thanks for checking in. This makes me wonder why the error message doesn't offer the primary key issue as a possible fix.

Ken

Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:30 AM by Kevin Haesendonckx

Thanks man, this helped me a lot, keep up the good work

Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:25 AM by purs

Thank you :) the post really helped me to figure out the error quickly.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:01 AM by squorpeeon

At least you didn't called a "dumb**s".

Thanks for the quick fix.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:27 PM by Paul

I made the same mistake , and now I fixed it ,thanks for your kindness.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:30 PM by Paul

I made the same mistake , and now I fixed it ,thanks for your kindness.

Friday, December 11, 2009 11:23 AM by richard.buff@tasb.org

Ken,

I'm glad I found your post.  Certainly saved me a few hours of troubleshooting.

Hey, Microsoft - maybe you can try coming up with errors that point developers to the problem instead of these cryptic messages.

Try replacing "Unable to update the EntitySet 'Purchases' because it has a DefiningQuery and no <InsertFunction> element exists in the <ModificationFunctionMapping> element to support the current operation."

with

Unable to update the EntitySet 'Purchases' because the table has no Primary Key

Thanks, Ken, your post helped me alot.  :-)

Rich

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:52 AM by Milko

I should have looked at the warnings while generating the Model - they did say that the table did not have a primary key assigned.

Thank you Ken!

Monday, December 28, 2009 8:09 AM by purs

Thank you :) Spent almost 30 minutes on trying to find the mistake, before started to search for answer in the web.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:15 PM by Stewart

Ha!  It would have been nice to explain how to "regenerate the .edmx file".

See, you can never explain enough!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:39 AM by Micah

Definitely saved me a few hours of troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Monday, March 15, 2010 1:45 PM by Matt

Thank you, that error msg is simply nuts.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:47 PM by Nate Reid

Ahh, thank you so much!  This is the sort of mistake you make when it's far to late at night.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:34 PM by Randir

Thanks!!! It saved me me time at 1am!

Sunday, May 16, 2010 12:07 PM by Justin Soliz

really appreciate it! saved me an afternoon...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:39 PM by John Cole

This is another WTH moment for Microsoft.  My table has a primary key, it just isn't an identity key.  Adding an identity key (which for this tiny configuration table is absolutely unnecessary) solved the problem.  Thanks for the good work.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:06 PM by Adam

Saved the day .. and hours of time .. thanks...

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:31 AM by Mayuresh

Thanks buddy for documenting this. I ran into this error and was at a loss about how to fix it.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:32 AM by Umesh K

Needle in the Hay-Stack kind of situation. What made it worse for me was I read your article towards the End of the mission.

Anyways, Alls well that ends well.

THANKS LOADS.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:08 AM by Mr Dean

As per the other comments, thanks a bunch for posting the fix.

You have saved my skull from numerous bruises from banging my head against my desk.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:11 AM by Nitin

Thanks Ken

that really helped me a lot and saved my time...

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:15 AM by leommoore

Thanks Ken, stupid mistake I know, but the error message is not exactly clear. Thanks for saving me from wasting too much time on this.

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:36 PM by Drew

Saved me a bunch of time, thanks very much.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:04 AM by Kim

Thanks you saved me a lot of time.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:38 AM by Gary A. Stafford

Thanks! Saved me a lot of additional troubleshooting while doing the ASP.NET MVC tutorials on www.asp.net/.../getting-started-with-mvc-part4

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:33 AM by amorphius

Doesn't help...

I have two tables - Events(primary key is ID) and Visitors(primary key is VisitorId).

I've added table Events_has_Visitors with only 2 fields EventId and VisitorId(primary key is EventId) and make relation Events-Events_has_Visitors and Visitors-Events_has_Visitors, but when I update Entities, the relation between Events and Visitors becomes 0..1 to many, not many-to-many. Only deleting primary key from Events_nas_Visitors allow to make relation many-to-many

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:53 AM by Jan

Thanks man, your post saved me a lot of time.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:56 PM by Joe B.

THANKS.  I was following a tutorial and hit this error.  Your fix was fast enough to try and it worked like a charm.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:44 PM by Sten-Åke Strid

I just wanted to say that you helped me too. Thank you.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:11 PM by Abhay C

This was really helpful...just would like to add that "regenerate the .edmx file" which you mentioned-- for that I initially deleted edmx file and also recoded the controller. However, that is not necessary-- as you can double click the edmx file and then right click on the table name and click on 'Update model from database'.

in Visual Studio 2010.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:02 PM by mailfolorunso

Great !! God bless you bless you for this post.Being battling with this error for three days now ! Just fixed the 'dumb' error.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:00 PM by Kun

Your post saved me a lot of time. Thank you!

Friday, November 19, 2010 9:10 AM by Swetha

Excellent !!! worked perfectly !!

Thank you so much....

Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:18 AM by Martin

Thanks Ken,

saved me a lot of time

best regards...

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:39 PM by Vipul

thanks for the post.  i wasted a couple of hours trying to figure this out until i read this.

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:50 PM by pablop

lol! in general, i do write :p). (in general..lol).

thanks, very very useful!

saved me a lot of time !

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:23 AM by r.zarei

tanks man. it save me.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:29 AM by PLC

thank you so much, rescued me!!

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:10 PM by Gabriel Brancolini

Thanks to you and please, thanks to your wife too!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:28 PM by Rudyard

I had the same problem and your post solved it, Thanks and keep blogging!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:12 AM by Nimi

Thanx! Happen to me just now...

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:44 PM by Naren

Well i hope you are not the only one. Thanks for the Post.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:00 AM by John Braham

Thanks man, sometimes the obvious really does need stating! :)

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:10 AM by Charles

Great, great

Thanks a lot

Monday, June 6, 2011 7:42 AM by ricardo

saved my life, I was looking for it to 3 days

Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:18 AM by Ray

Setting the primary key fixed it thanks!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:35 PM by Joe

Thanks for sharing. It really helped, just like the others commented.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:52 PM by gigo

thanks, that was exactly what i forgot.. setting the primary key.. :)

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:58 AM by Smitha

Thanks a lot lot lot for your post, Really so happy to save time because of you.

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:30 AM by Joe

Thank you, thanks to you I saved a lot of time

Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:12 AM by Karthik D V

Superb Buddy ! you took me away from the well !!!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:36 PM by ZMG

Yep, Very helpfull..... but some tables really wouldn't need the primary key..... (:

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:02 PM by Vova

Thank you very much!!! You are real programmer!!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:02 AM by apoco76

Yep, I just made the same mistake! Thanks for posting it!

Saturday, November 5, 2011 11:49 AM by jonx

I was missing the key too. thank your for your post. thanks to you I solved my problem in no time...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:04 PM by Caio

Tks!!! you helped me a lot

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:11 AM by Sameer

Thanks mate it really helped

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:38 AM by Vijay

I did the same mistake...Your answer is amazing..It saved lot of time..

Friday, December 2, 2011 1:35 PM by Scott

There are million of these comments already, but again... thanks for the post, had the problem fixed within minutes...

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:17 PM by HasanRizvi

This is the case for me. Simply removing <DefiningQuery> resulted in another error.  I followed the steps of this post except the last one. For your convenience, I copied the 4 steps from the post   that I followed to solve the problem as following:

Right click on the edmx file, select Open with, XML editor

Locate the entity in the edmx:StorageModels element

Remove the DefiningQuery entirely

Rename the store:Schema="dbo" to Schema="dbo" (otherwise, the code will generate an error saying the name is invalid)

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:11 AM by Dan

Old post, still relevant...  DOH! Forgot the Primary Key...  Guess that happens when you haven't created a DB table in 3 months...  Thanks, bud!  *cheers*

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:10 AM by Klaus Ahlbäumer

Thank you for writing your experience into this blog.

So it took me only a few minutes to fix the problem.

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:29 AM by B

Thanks... same goes here.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:26 PM by UU

Many thanks for this note.

It saved me loadsa time

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:32 AM by Narendra

Thanks a lot.It saved a lot of time. Many thanks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:57 AM by Max

Thanks, saved me some time as well!

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:05 AM by JD

Thanks for the Post - saved me some time

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:50 PM by Shivani

Thanks,Saved a lot of time.

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:58 AM by Shweta

Thanks for writing this, I had made the same mistake and thanks to you it didn't take me to long!!

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:28 AM by MrZ

Thanks, saved a lot of time!

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:14 AM by Jay

I love you - you're blog saved me hours!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:41 AM by Nicole

I just wanted to add something else. If you are working with Visual Studio 2008 never forget to recreate the EDMX file. Otherwise you might be getting the same error.

This happened to me, but after I added the PK and re-create the EDMX file everything worked perfect.

Thanks Ken.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:25 AM by kafiluddin mohammed

Ken, i had the same issue, i implemented the concept you mentioned and it solved my problem....

Thanks,

Kafil

Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:45 AM by Kal

"...you’ve discovered this little fix before losing time like I did."  Indeed! Quite! Thank you!

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:37 AM by Marcio

Thanks, same problem

Monday, January 14, 2013 9:47 PM by Reggie

Than you so much, this saved my miserable ass!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:21 PM by Armin - FIT

Thanks a lot, saved me also! :)

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:10 AM by Ricky

Thanks for posting this. I was about to undo my changes and start from scratch.