Contents tagged with XAML
This is going to be fun, and I know for sure that lot’s of great folks from the WP community will be there:
Atley Hunter, Sébastien Lachance, Matthieu Guyonnet-Duluc, Christian Hissibini, Tom Walker, Peter Henry, John Marshall, …
What: Full day workshop on Windows Phone apps development (bring your laptop!)
When: Saturday May 3, 2014
Where: Microsoft Montreal office
Cost: free, and you’ll leave with plenty of goodies!
See you there!
Really glad that more XAML events comes to Montreal:
Beyond Tiles Design Integration Workshop Tour in Canada
“Join us again in this second wave of the Beyond Tiles Workshop and learn advanced design integration techniques to produce pixel perfect Windows and Windows Phone user interfaces. Replicate the original vision of designers with fidelity by following best practices as implemented by the Windows Phone design studio and leading agencies in the Microsoft ecosystem.”
Previous experience developing Windows and/or Windows Phone apps is required.
What can I Expect?
In this hands-on workshop you will be able to explore the process of taking a set of high fidelity comps provided by a designer and translate those to Blend and Visual Studio with pixel perfection quality. You will learn techniques for exporting vector and bitmap assets from Expression Design into Blend and to define the right layout panels to host your UI. You will also learn how to skin controls and design lists. The goal is to achieve perfection when translating comps to UI. You should already be familiar with Blend, Visual Studio and XAML in general.
What will I Achieve?
In the morning you will learn different Design Integration techniques with the help of a couple design experts. In the afternoon you will put this learning to the test with a hands on workshop where you will be provided with a couple UIs for Windows and Windows Phone. You will then take these UIs and turn them into high fidelity UIs in Blend – all with XAML.
What Should I Bring?
This is a workshop: bring your laptop! You will need Expression Design (download for free at www.microsoft.com/expression) and Visual Studio with both Windows and Windows Phone SDKs. When installing Visual Studio make sure Blend for Visual Studio is also installed. If you need a free version of Visual Studio you can download and install from here: http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs (install both Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone).
How much does it cost?
This is a complimentary event‚ specifically offered to support the Canadian design and developer community.
More info and registration (Montreal):
See you there!
As you probably know, Build conference starts tomorrow and I have 18 sessions in my schedule, it’s gonna be a fun week!!!
If like me you’re passionate about XAML, Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Store App development, I have curated this list of sessions just for you (and me…):
- The New Windows Phone Application Model
- Windows Phone and Windows: Store and Dev Center
- Using Visual Studio to Build XAML Converged Apps
- From 4 to 40 inches: Developing Windows Applications across Multiple Form Factors
- Maximizing Revenue for Phone, Tablet and PC Apps in the Windows Store
- Diagnosing Issues in Windows Phone XAML Apps Using Visual Studio
- Deploying and Managing Enterprise Apps
- Windows Phone Enterprise Management
- Live Tiles Enhancements
- Navigation Model for Windows XAML Applications
- Quality and Performance for XAML Apps
- What’s New with Windows Phone Silverlight Apps!
- Windows Runtime for Windows Phone Developers
- App Studio for Windows and Windows Phone: Pre Launch Preview
- Windows Phone and Windows: Dev Center and App Submission Deep Dive
- Avoiding Windows Store App Failures
- IT’S A TRAP! 3 Remarkably Common UI Traps and How to Avoid Them in Your Designs
- Animations in Windows Phone XAML Apps
Let the fun begin!
Matteo Pagani has written a 243 pages ebook on Windows Phone 8, that covers most of the important concepts, from the basic ones (like XAML, application lifecycle, etc.) to the most advanced ones (like background tasks, geolocalization and speech APIs).
- The User Interface: Basic XAML Concepts
- Core Concepts
- Data Access: Storage
- Data Access: Network
- Integrating with the Hardware
- Integrating with the Operating System
- Multimedia Applications
- Live Apps: Tiles, Notifications, and Multitasking
- Distributing the Application: Localization, the Windows Phone Store, and In-App Purchases
Most amazing part: the ebook is available for free thanks to Syncfusion. You just have to register and then you’ll be able to download it both in PDF and Kindle format.
Have you checked Microsoft Virtual Academy courses ?
Here is my Microsoft Virtual Academy learning plan for the upcoming weeks:
Enterprise Developer Camp Jump Start
Designing Applications for Windows Azure Jump Start
Windows 8.1 Developer Training: Geek Edition Jump Start
Designing Your XAML UI with Blend Jump Start
If you haven’t look at it yet, the Microsoft Virtual Academy is starting to have some great learning resources. Here is a list of interesting courses I plan to watch in the next weeks:
Here are the slides I used today for my “Building apps for WP8 and Windows 8” presentation at our special full day event in Montreal on Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Azure:
Here are the slides I used today for my “Windows Store app development” presentation at our special full day event in Montreal on Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Azure:
Knowing that my focus is on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps with XAML/C# and Azure, here is my recommended sessions playlist if you want to catch up with BUILD.
Windows Store apps
- Introduction to creating Windows Store apps using XAML
- Performance tips for Windows Store apps using XAML
- Alive with activity: Tiles, notifications, and background tasks **
- Building world-ready Windows Store apps with XAML
- Tips and tricks for developing connected applications
- Key technologies for Windows Store business apps
- Designing awesome XAML apps in Visual Studio and Blend for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8
Windows Phone 8
- Windows Phone 8: XAML Application Development
- Windows Phone 8: Enterprise Development
- Windows Phone 8: Critical Developer Practices for Delivering Outstanding Apps
- Windows Phone 8: Performance & Optimization for Developers
- Windows Phone 8: Tiles, Lock Screen, and Notifications
- Windows Azure Overview **
- Developing Mobile Solutions with Windows Azure Part I ** (I don’t necessarily recommend part 2)
- Windows 8 Connectathon with Windows Azure Mobile Services **
#1 That’s a lot of sessions… my advice for you is to download the video locally on a PC, then use Media Player and the “Fast playback” option, still understandable and you cut half the time!
#2 If your time is really limited, I marked the sessions I enjoyed the most with **
We talked about:
1. The Windows 8 experience
2. What’s new in Silverlight 5
3. WinRT – the new cross-language Windows client platform
4. Building a Metro Style app with XAML
5. Building portable libraries for cross-platform apps
I think attendees appreciated that we let them play with the new Windows 8 tablet…