My Silverlight talk at Montreal .NET User Group
This week I gave a Silverlight presentation at the Montreal .NET Community (www.dotnetmontreal.com).
Very few slides and lots of code, I built live from scratch a Silverlight business oriented application with Visual Studio 2008 and Expression Blend, here is what I demoed:
- Entity Framework over a SQL Server db (beers!)
- WCF service + asynchronous call on the Silverlight 2 client + best practice
- Design and Animation with Blend + a few tips (tab key to collapse windows, properties search)
- Tips to prevent an animation from running twice
- DataGrid templating (custom columns, custom selected row view)
- Isolated Storage cache [Learn more]
- Custom alternative “no Silverlight installed” version as well a as a way to simulate a user without Silverlight in IE. I finally build a nice working version of the page with data for the user without forcing him to install Silverlight. [Learn more]
- Quickly talked about some of the new features coming with Silverlight 3 (currently beta)
||Alternative ASP.NET version:|
Lot’s of content! I wanted to show a bit of Silverlight 3 but that was too much.
You can download my code (*) here:
As well as the slides (french):
(*) The download include the asynchronous Database update as users edit the DataGrid.
For those of you who are interested to hear about Silverlight 3 don’t worry you still have plenty of events coming!