Projects built with ASP.NET MVC are what are known as "flavored projects." This means that instead of being an entirely new project type, ASP.NET MVC projects merely extend a different kind of existing project type. Specifically, the projects extend the Web Application Project type.

If you try to open a flavored project and don't have that particular flavored project system installed, you get to see this little slice of heaven:

Visual Studio error message: The project type is not supported by this installation

If you select "OK" then Visual Studio will continue, but the project will not be loaded:

Solution Explorer: Project unavailable

Well, then, what do you do to continue? All you have to do is edit the project file to remove the flavoring. Right-click on the project, and select "Edit MyProjectName.vbproj".

image

This will launch Visual Studio's project file editor (with Intellisense, in case you didn't know!). Towards the top you'll see a list of project types associated with this project, each one represented by a GUID.

<ProjectTypeGuids>{603c0e0b-db56-11dc-be95-000d561079b0};{349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21};{F184B08F-C81C-45F6-A57F-5ABD9991F28F}</ProjectTypeGuids>

The first GUID there (the one that starts with "603c") is the one used by ASP.NET MVC projects. Remove that GUID so you end up with:

<ProjectTypeGuids>{349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21};{F184B08F-C81C-45F6-A57F-5ABD9991F28F}</ProjectTypeGuids>

Save the project file and close it.

Now reload the project:

image

And you'll be able to work on the project once again. The only thing you won't be able to use is MVC project-specific features such as the "Add View" menu option.

I find myself doing this very often since my work machine is always in a bizarre state with respect to ASP.NET MVC and I often don't have the project type installed. This is much faster than trying to install MVC just so I can inspect a project.

Published Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:00 AM by Eilon
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Opening an ASP.NET MVC project without having ASP.NET MVC installed: The project type is not supported by this installation

Friday, June 5, 2009 4:54 AM by Orif

Thank you man! It solved my problem.

Monday, November 30, 2009 12:56 PM by mcgurk

Had to do this one twice so far on the same project....  Thanks!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:57 PM by dr43058

The add a view OR add a controller dialog is not showing at all! Do you know why. I have Resharper installed on my computer, which might be in effect, masking those options but I dont' think so. Please help, dannyrosales@live.com

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:10 AM by Sergey Prokhorenko

Thanks, your post was the only help I've found after I encountered this error during upgrade to VS2010RC. I wonder if this should be mentioned in VS2010 notes somewhere... I think many people use ASP.NET MVC v1.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:15 PM by Andy

Thanks, Eilon. Just upgraded to the latest version of ASP.NET MVC2. This is exactly what was required to get the project loading in Studio.

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:10 PM by Ranjith

Perfect worked for me. Thanks alot

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:05 AM by Rajchandar

Nice Post...

Definetly would have saved lot of time for many people (including me).

Thanks a lot :)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:37 PM by Eric Fickes

Thanks for posting this Eilon.  I just used this technique to fix a VS 2008 ASP.NET MVC project.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:48 PM by Bastiaan

Hey. Thanks for posting this. It helped me alot to get a downloaded solution from CodePlex working in VS2010.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:53 PM by David

This did not work for me, and furthermore in the "ProjectTypeGuids" element I didn't see a guid starting with 603c.  I'm using VS 2010.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:05 PM by Eilon

@David

The ProjectTypeGuids used by each version of MVC are different.

MVC 1: {603c0e0b-db56-11dc-be95-000d561079b0}

MVC 2: {F85E285D-A4E0-4152-9332-AB1D724D3325}

MVC 3: {E53F8FEA-EAE0-44A6-8774-FFD645390401}

The other two GUIDs represent Web Application and Class Library project types ({349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21} and {F184B08F-C81C-45F6-A57F-5ABD9991F28F}).

Thanks,