Sponsors

View Laurent Kempé's profile on LinkedIn
XING
twitter
facebook

Xbox 360

Map

Locations of visitors to this page

.NET Dudes

Family

French .NET Dudes

Friends

Jobping

Links

Tech Head Brothers

How I restored my notebook after uninstalling issues of V2i from Symantec

After uninstalling V2i from Symantec I was asked to reboot my notebook. The reboot took for ever so I decide after 30 minutes to switch it off. Problems started when I rebooted, lots of drivers where missing and it seems that I lost the plug and play features. One of the first driver I decided to recover was the Sound driver. This is the way I recover from that sound driver issue.

1. In services, check that WinAudio service is enabled, set to automatic, and running.
  2. In Device Manager, System Devices check that Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is installed and running

If not , then you need to reinstall it:

1. Copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to your desktop
  2. Remove line ExcludeFromSelect=*
  3. Use Add new hardware wizard using the Have Disk option
  4. Select the machine.inf you saved on the desktop
  5. Install Plug and Play Software Device

If the sound card is listed in the device manager, then uninstall it and start a scan for hardware changes. Afer installing it again I got the sound back live.

I did the same for several other drivers that were missing on my notebook. And now it seems to be ok.

Posted: Jul 07 2004, 11:43 PM by lkempe | with 9 comment(s)
Filed under:

Comments

df said:

I hate to nitpick here, but problems did start after you rebooted. No, problems started when you purchased a Symantec product.

All kidding aside, sorry to hear about your problems. Those unexpected issues can eat up a day (or worse) and throw a schedule way off.
# July 7, 2004 6:13 PM

speedy said:

well after uninstalling symantec you need to restart sir and in my opinion symantec is not very good.

# January 23, 2007 2:38 PM

horea said:

E X C E L L E N T   tip!

my problem had nothing to do with symantec;

in short, I had no sound and no "plug and play enumerator"

worked beautifully after this. did not even had to restart.

10x a million

# May 23, 2007 9:31 PM

jige said:

my broblem is the "plug and play software enumerator".

it just won´t work.my issues appeared after insalling xp sp2,right after xp pro clean install(wtf?).after I restored system to the point right before sp2 install,audio works perfectly.I tried to install sp2 and once again the same issue appeared.this pc is about 8 months old,so it should not be a god damn problem to install sp2.

# October 1, 2007 4:17 PM

nilli said:

I did every thing you said, BUT, in the new hardware wizard, when i choose have disk and trying to choose my desktop (where i saved the machine.inf) it doesn't let me. why???

thank you for your help.

# April 26, 2008 10:12 AM

E. Hammer said:

I want to thank you, I was trying to find an answer for two days and your worked.  I just had to figure out to show all devices

Standard system devices

Plug and play software enumerator

after that I was hearing sound again.  Thanks again.

# September 14, 2008 11:11 AM

j said:

I have somehow managed to delete my audio device :os

I want attempt to reinstall the plug and play thing but don't know how to "Copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to your desktop"

I am not that computer literate so could someone explain that to me?

many thanks :o)

# September 25, 2008 2:21 PM

haneet said:

i ve sme prob bt i use windows vista ultimate 32 bit

plz help

# December 14, 2008 1:17 PM

Jonathan said:

Wow, great.  Enabling - that simple.  I searched for services, found the Audio option and it was disabled.  It's so infuriating when the troubleshooter says it's working fine.  Sheesh but back in business!  Thanks

# January 27, 2009 9:30 PM

Aaron said:

I click use disk and browse for the .inf file on my desktop and then click ok and it says this message

"the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Pls help me

# April 24, 2009 8:14 AM

Johanna said:

HI

I have been having the same kind problem with my Windows XP PC, No sound Playback of PC, "No Audio Device"

I have tried to reinstall the Driver, i have tried your tip up above, i tried everything i could think of and what i could find on the web, i am just wondering in BIOS in advance if there shows no Audio device does it mean that my sound card is not working any more,?

Any help fixing this will be eternally great

# February 3, 2010 6:03 AM