The Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) (Release Candidate) includes the following enhancements targeted at helping to tighten security, increase reliability, and improve scalability:
- Inventory encryption and client authentication
- Client certificate provisioning
- Configurable communications port
- Watson support for server diagnostics
- Support for a greater number of distribution points to reduce maintenance cost
- More granular control of intersite traffic
- Improved software distribution in multi-site hierarchies
- Folders structures for queries, packages, advertisements, and reports
- Ability to bypass inventory of the Windows directory for each inventory rule
- Client-side performance enhancements for Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)-based inventory
- Critical patch management
The Release Candidate 1 build is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/downloads/2003/sp1beta.asp. To download the SMS 2003 SP1 (Release Candidate), you must first register to participate in the SMS 2003 SP1 open beta program. To register, complete the following steps:
- Go to the BetaPlace Web site.
- Sign in with a Microsoft .NET Passport account. If you don't have a Passport account, you can create one.
- In the Guest ID box, type SMSInvite. The Guest ID is case-sensitive.
- Click the SMS 2003 SP1, DM, OSD and SDK link and follow the instructions to register.