If you haven´t installed Visual Studio 2010 SP1 yet and you’ve enabled automatic Windows Update, chances are you end up getting the following error when starting VS2010: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

There is a .NET 4 Framework in Windows update distributed recently that generates this conflict.

Solution: Install VS2010 Sp1.

Published Monday, April 25, 2011 8:51 AM by javarg
Filed under:

Comments

# re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes with “Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation”

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:51 AM by Bjarne Rementorp

Thanks for this pointer! It worked for me.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:01 AM by Matt

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:20 AM by AnnoyedUser

"I had this issue and the root cause was that system32 had been knocked off the path. Don't know if this is caused by the update you mentioned above, but simply adding system32 back to the path variable resolved the issue for me."

Thanks!

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:50 PM by H2oGuru

I had this same issue when installing Intel Parallel Studio on a computer with VS2010 Pro already installed. Apparently this can be cause by any 3rd party product that revises the env-var "path". It is not limited to VS Update.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:44 AM by Brian

I ran into this same issue and just reinstalled the Service Pack and now I have many more error messages popping up. :(

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:52 PM by hgeo

It arrived to my VS2010 with SP1 after installing SQL Server Express service Pack 1 (x64) on a W7 Ultimate machine

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:40 AM by Anugrah A

Installing VS 2010 SP1 fixed the issue, but this problem has started coming again. Any clues?

I read that Brian has re-applied SP1 and he is getting even more errors now. Plz help.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:38 AM by Valentin Velev

I had multiple %STUDIO_LIB_VC10% items in my path variable. I have left only one and the problem disappeared.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:10 PM by David Glenn

Adding System32 back to the environmental variables fixed the issue for me.  Thanks!