Windows 2003 vs. WebSphere on *nix
Here's an interesting article on the Windows 2K3 vs. WebSphere on Linux/Unix.
To blatantly copy bits of the abstract:
Overall, @stake found that:
- Both platforms provide infrastructure and effective tools for creating and deploying secure applications
- The .NET Framework 1.1 running on Windows Server 2003 scored slightly better with respect to conformance to security best practices
- The Microsoft solution scored even higher with respect to the ease with which developers and administrators can implement secure solutions
As a result, @stake recommends that:
- Development organizations that are experimenting with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and .NET Framework should not allow security concerns to hold back deployments
- Companies that have made strategic commitments to either platform need not switch solely on the basis of security
- Companies seeking to standardize on a web application platform will derive significant security benefits from both, but may find the Microsoft solution easier to secure initially
I personally like "Development organizations that are experimenting with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and .NET Framework should not allow security concerns to hold back deployments", as it certainly mirrors my own beliefs about .NET.