Micheal Robertson writes
"Bye Bye Microsoft Word, Hello ajaxWrite"
What if there was alternative for Microsoft Word that would install and open in 6 seconds, read and write Microsoft Word .doc files and run on Macintosh, Microsoft Windows or Linux computers? And oh yeah, it was FREE so consumers didn't have to pay $499 for Microsoft Office. I'm excited to announce that day is here....
Now, all of a sudden I found it hard to browse through Yahoo Finance.
For future reference, here are few things to look for during refactoring the source.
- Lots of comment explaining a piece of code -> Extract the code in a separate method
- When comment explains preconditions -> Use Assertions
- Look for comments to extract methods
- Extract methods semantically
- Extract class if there are too many responsibilities
- Extract interface if you can identify subset of features that clients can use
Long Parameter List
- See if the method is being used to do more than 1 action and the logic is controlled by the parameters ( eg. Add/Update in a single method )
- If the parameters come from a single object, pass the object or extract an object out of parameters
- Avoid Hungarian notations
- Name the method so that it communicates to other people ( Avoid One or Two Character names, Numbered variables, Odd abbreviations, Misleading names )
- Dead code
- YAGNI principle ( avoid unnecessary generalization )
- Magic Number -> Replace numbers inside code body into symbolic constants
- Extract Methods to pull duplication code and put it inside the most appropriate class. Otherwise, extract a class and use it.
- Combine classes if two classes are doing mostly similar stuff.
As part of another project, I wrapped the very basic functionality of "avicap32.dll" to use webcam in your own applications. Well for some reason, I'm unable to continue working on it so I decided to put the source online which I hope will save someone a little time.
I recently worked on another project where I wanted to use the Webcam. As part of that, I looked for the resources and found a couple of different ways of doing this.
I received a lot of complains regarding "WinFS Junior" on the problem of launching the application once the download is completed. Just because "WinFS Junior" removes the file from the original directory it is not possible to run it from the download dialog.
The Apprentice :: Watch Online
Until now, I have been using Juice Podcast receiver as my favourite application for subscribing to podcasts. The main reason for using Juice is small footprint and fast execution with a fairly decent user interface.