The Xena Blog

More than you ever wanted to know about MSDN Subscriber Downloads

Avalon CTP on MSDN Subscriber Downloads

Should be released tomorrow - I have the WinFX SDK Community Technology Preview build replicating to all worldwide servers now.  I believe it'll be avaliable for Pro, Ent, and Uni subscription levels.  Check the site in the afternoon to be safe - I don't have an exact time-of-day for when I'll be able to publish the Table of Contents.  It'll be, however, in the Tools, SDKs, DDKs | Platform Tools folder.  Let me know what you think, I used to be technical (My MCSE certs were for MSMail and Win NT 3.51), but have gotten more into the project side and so can't keep up with you kids today and your newfangled technologies, zima, and breakdancing.

Comments

Sriram said:

Does this run on WinXP?
# November 19, 2004 12:21 AM

Andy (MS) said:

No idea. The description might have more information, but since this is an SDK then I'd have to assume so.
# November 19, 2004 12:30 AM

Rob said:

What does this mean? Is this the downstream port of Avalon for WinXP/2003?
# November 19, 2004 9:44 AM

John Montgomery said:

This build will run on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003. Please understand that it is a Community Technology Preview and that it might have rough edges -- don't install it on your primary development system.
# November 19, 2004 2:02 PM

Savas Parastatidis said:

:-( No access from an MSDN Academic Alliance subscription? :-((
# November 19, 2004 4:42 PM

Andy (MS) said:

Sorry, "Pro and higher" also includes AA. (In fact, I can't publish content to Pro or OS levels and not AA, at least until Xena 3.0. The broad announcements are going out now, I'm working on the Xena publish but don't have an exact time as yet.
# November 19, 2004 4:45 PM

Savas Parastatidis said:

COOOOLLL :-) Me happy again :-)) Thanks!
# November 19, 2004 4:57 PM

Deniz said:

it's online

WinFX SDK - Avalon - Community Technology Preview (English)

Date Posted
11/18/2004 4:32:00 PM
File
en_winfx_sdk_ctp.iso, Self-Extracting Compressed File
Size
255.39 MB
# November 19, 2004 7:07 PM

James Hancock said:

Why isn't this available publically???? you want feedback, but you limit it to people paying big bucks for MSDN access...
# November 19, 2004 11:28 PM

Kevin Daly said:

I'm just guessing, but the MSDN subscription thing might be viewed as a crude way of attempting to distinguish between the general public and people who understand about running with scissors (I say crude, because there are plenty of experienced developers without MSDN subscriptions, and plenty of subscribers who can't be trusted with the aforementioned scissors).

On the other hand, since it's around a quarter Gig., limiting it to subscribers might also help to keep the download traffic manageable.
I'm guessing we'll see broader distribution with the betas, as we did with .NET itself all those years (3) ago.
# November 20, 2004 4:12 PM

Compugab said:

As long as the Longhorn beta is avalible publicly I'll be happy :d
# November 20, 2004 5:28 PM

Randy Scholes said:

If you ask me i think that the offical visual studio 2005 beta testers should also get a copy of the sdk's also.
# November 20, 2004 8:56 PM