Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

I've been working on a maps toolbar for Firefox called 'MutantMaps'. The idea is to allow navigation between all of the popular mapping sites while preserving your longitude, latitude and zoom levels. At the moment Google Maps, MSN Virtual Earth, MultiMap, TerraServer and 192.com are supported. There is also support for navigating from Google Maps/MSN Virtual Earth 'mashup' sites (ie this kind of thing).

You can see from there screenshot below there is a drop down menu that allows navigation to a few selected Google Maps 'mashups'. It is a pretty random selection of sites that caught my eye and work well with the toolbar. If there are any other sites you would like to see added, please let me know.

You can install the Firefox toolbar from this page.

I just thank Roger Muggleton for allowing me to use his northings, eastings to lonitute, latitute code and for his excellent Javascript Calculators site. This was invaluable when adding support for 192.com (and soon UK Streetmap).

This is still early days for the toolbar, so please check back here for updates. Let me know how you get on and what else you would like to see.

Published Tuesday, July 26, 2005 4:42 PM by Jamie Cansdale
Filed under:

Comments

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Great idea! It'd be cool if it could be used not only for purely "map" sites, but somehow exploit geotagged content as well. Of course, perhaps the map sites should do that exploitation on their own.

Anyway, I look forward to your developments.

R.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:56 PM by Rob Smith

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Great Tool, please add our mashup to your toolbar.

<a href="www.reservemy.com">ReserveMy.com</a>

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:49 PM by Ousama Abushagur

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Congratulations. Great tool.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:04 AM by Luistxo, Tagzania

# X and Y in Streetmaps.co.uk

Additional question: which of the Javascript calculators that you use converts lat and lon to the x and y variables used in Streetmaps? Which is the logic behind x and y there, do you know? Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:36 AM by Luistxo

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Ben,

I had a go at adding map24. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the current lon/lat of a map24 map. The fact that it's based on a Java applet makes it tricky!

Do you know what a link to a map24 location would look like? If you could give me a link that used lon/lat we could at least have partial (one way) support.

Friday, July 29, 2005 7:18 AM by Jamie Cansdale

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Gustavo,

I've looked into supporting the ViaMichelin. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to get the current longitude/latitude from their maps or link to them using longitude/latitude. There are a few map sites that seem to make this deliberately difficult (ie Mapquest).

Monday, August 8, 2005 8:25 AM by Jamie Cansdale

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Plain living and high thinking.

-----------------------------------

Sunday, December 19, 2010 7:30 AM by ipad accessories and cases

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

"Virtuous what I used to be looking for and quite thoroughgoing as surface. Many thanks for placard this, I saw a yoke distinct related posts but yours was the optimum  so considerably. I outlook it stays up to date, really like anxiety."

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:50 AM by slr camera reviews

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

wonderful publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts

of this sector don't understand this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you've a great readers' base already!

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:36 AM by Donohue

# re: Announcing the MutantMaps Firefox Toolbar

Very good post. I'm going through many of these issues as well..

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:25 AM by Pelletier