Scott Forsyth's Blog

Postings on IIS, ASP.NET, SQL Server, Webfarms and general system admin.

Cloud Resources

IIS Resources

Understanding Regular Expressions (focus on URL Rewrite)–Part 10 (Sub-Part 1 of 2)

Regular Expressions can seem difficult to understand.  In today’s lesson I attempt to bring this down to earth and make it understandable and useful for the web administrator.

While this focuses on URL Rewrite, this lesson is useful for Visual Studio, ASP.NET development and JavaScript development also.

I couldn’t keep this within 10-15 minutes so this is Part 1 of 2 on Regular Expressions.  Part 2 can be found here.

This is week 10 of a 52 week series on various web administration related tasks.  Past and future videos can be found here.

Comments

imran_ku07 said:

Can you please increase the sound of these videos.?

# March 5, 2011 11:07 PM

OWScott said:

Hi Imran, thanks for the feedback.  I listened to this in contrast to a number of other YouTube videos and it seems to be on par with the others.  Are you sure that both your youtube volume and computer volume are both at normal levels?

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has problems with the volume too.

Thanks!

# March 6, 2011 12:02 AM

kevin said:

thanks dude.. waiting for next tutorial.. well regex is been widely used in many programming languages, you cant ignore regex at all. infact there are some things which are impossible using the regular built in string library functions. regex makes all string ops possible.

# March 6, 2011 3:44 AM

imran_ku07 said:

Yes, I feel the sound of this video is less when compare to other videos on youtube.

# March 6, 2011 4:54 AM

OWScott said:

Hi Kevin.  I agree, it sure helps with a lot of situations.

# March 6, 2011 8:20 AM

OWScott said:

Thanks Imran, I'll look into this and see what I can do to raise the volume level on future videos.

# March 6, 2011 8:21 AM

kevin said:

whops\ i fixed it. i was querying it from behind a proxy. now i stoppedde proxy and now it works like a charm.. sorry for bothering you scoot.

# March 6, 2011 2:04 PM

OWScott said:

Hi Kevin,

Great, glad you were able to trackc that down.  I don't really know Apache.  My expertise is with IIS.  I used Apache years ago in a limited fashion, so I don't have any Apache lessons lined up.  Many of the principles are the same between IIS and Apache, but the configuration is much different between the two.

# March 6, 2011 6:27 PM

Justin Soliz said:

Nice tutorial, volume sounds good on my end.

# March 14, 2011 12:00 PM