Monday, December 14, 2009 4:31 PM
Exploring Dynamic Data: Article Index
This is the index to a series of articles, to be published periodically, about the elements of ASP.NET Dynamic Data. It focuses on specific technologies, especially the web controls you use to build a Dynamic Data-based web form. As the author of Peter’s Data Entry Suite, I have identified limitations and gaps in Dynamic Data which I will also discuss. My commercial solution resolves many of those limitations and gaps.
Filed under: ASP.NET, Dynamic Data
- Data Source controls to interact with your business logic – Discusses which DataSource web controls are best for good separation of concerns between UI and business logic.
- Validation attributes for business logic. A look at the Validation attributes in System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.
- DataTypeAttribute for business logic.
- Textual attributes for business logic. The many ways to associate text with column and table elements.
- Scaffolding attributes for business logic. What is scaffolding and how to manage it.
- Other attributes for business logic. Includes my thoughts on what business logic attributes are missing.
- Field Templates – Pending. The user interfaces for each data type.
- DynamicControl and DynamicField – Pending. The mainstay web control for a user interface of a column in your business logic.
- DynamicValidator control – Pending. Displays errors generated by your business logic.
- Entity Templates – Pending. A user interface with webcontrols (including DynamicControls) and HTML to describe typical situation, such as a two column row in a detail record, an email entry, and a street address entry.
- DataBound controls – Pending. ListView, FormView, GridView, and DetailsView are DataBound controls. Dynamic Data requires one as a container for any DynamicControl or DynamicField.
- DynamicDataManager control – Pending. Connects Dynamic Data technology to the DataBound control.
- DynamicFilter, FilterRepeater, and DynamicFilterRepeater – Pending. For building filtering user interfaces.
- DataPager control – Pending. More than just for Dynamic Data, but central to managing list-based DataBound controls.
- QueryExtender – Pending. Connects DynamicFilterRepeater with the DataSource control.
- Page Templates – Pending. Provides nearly instant applications completely driven by scaffolding and other business logic attributes.
- DynamicHyperlink control – Pending. Delivers a hyperlink that defines its URL based on URL routing rules.
- What’s missing – Pending. Other elements that I’ve implemented to make Dynamic Data more robust.