WCF Atomic Transactions - GUI Configuration

Published Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:28 PM

If you play with WCF and would like an easy, graphical way to enable and configure basic options of the the WS-Atomic transaction support of WCF, you can do the following:

(Note: I did this recently as I had to rebuild a new laptop so I thought I'd mention it here for the benefit of anyone else).

I am running this within Vista, although it should be "similar" for other OS flavours.

1. Install the .Net 3.0 (Vista) SDK.

2. As an administrative user, go to a .Net command prompt and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Bin"

3. Type 'regasm /codebase wsatui.dll'

4. Now load up the Component Services management console. You can do this by going to 'Start --> Run --> MMC'

5. Once the MMC console is up, select 'File --> Add/Remove Snap-In --> Component Services'. Cick 'Add' button, then click OK.

6. Expand out the tree until you find the 'Local DTC' node as shown below, right click on it and select 'Properties':

7. Select the 'WS-AT' tab and there you have all your WS-Atomic Transaction settings. (Note that I dont have the DTC access allowed at the moment so the options are greyed out).

Comments

# Daniel Bartholomew said on Friday, January 25, 2008 1:14 AM

Glav you are a total rockstar. You've saved me a phone call. Nice work on getting this as the top Google hit for WCF Atomic Transaction

# Glav said on Friday, January 25, 2008 7:38 AM

Thanks Dan.

although, you'd think that if I was a rock star, I'd have some groupies... :-)

# Enrico said on Friday, February 13, 2009 6:24 AM

Hi Glav,

On Windows XP SP3, when I click on the WS-AT tab the following error occurs: "an error occurred while trying to access registry key 'Risorse del computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\'". Then, when I close the error message all the controls within the WS-AT tab are disabled (grayed) !! What is the problem ?

Can you help me ?

Thanks, Enrico.

# Glav said on Monday, February 23, 2009 11:44 PM

Enrico, not sure what the problem is but I suspect you may have to remove and re-add the component in.

# munish said on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:09 AM